Terry Francona on Carl Crawford: ‘I don’t see any panic’
|04.10.11 at 10:42 pm ET|
The struggles of Carl Crawford continued Sunday night in front of a national TV audience as he failed to get a hit in his five at-bats to lower his average to .132 on the season, including 1-for-15 in his first series against the Yankees as a member of the Red Sox.
“When he gets on base a bunch and starts creating havoc, he’s going to feel fine,” Sox skipper Terry Francona said. “Until that happens with a lot of guys, they’re searching a little bit. We had extra hitting [Sunday], that’s the best way I know how to remedy things like that. He went out there and hit. That’s what you do. It’ll fall into place.”
Will Francona say anything?
“I don’t think we pull him aside and tell him anything,” Francona said before Sunday night’s game. “I think in the normal course of a day’s events, you have your conversations and try to stay consistent. I think players smell when you’re telling them something you don’t normally tell them.
“It’s human nature but everybody is a little bit different. Everybody talked when Jason Bay came, how well he did and how he handled it. The fact that in his first game, he hit a ball off the wall, helps. You can’t just press a button and get hits or we all would. I think everybody is different.”
Between Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, it was Crawford whom many figured would have a more difficult time early on in Boston trying to adjust to the attention of signing a seven-year, $142 million deal in the winter.
“I think he is very conscientious but I don’t see any panic or anything like that,” Francona said. “This guy’s been playing a long time and he’s been playing in this division.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg