Bobby Jenks: ‘All I can say is I stunk’
|04.16.11 at 12:56 am ET|
Coming into Friday’s game with the Blue Jays, Jenks had been a bright spot for the Red Sox this season – more like brilliant.
He faced 14 batters in four previous outings, retiring 12 of the 14 and walking the other two. He struck out five and hadn’t allowed a hit. In four innings, his ERA was a perfect Blutarsky-esque 0.00.
Then he faced Jayson Nix to open the seventh. He walked him. Then Yunel Escobar singled to left. Then the wheels came off. He struck out Corey Patterson for his only out, allowing four singles and threw a wild pitch as the Jays scored four times to break a 3-3 tie and held on for a 7-6 win.
Jenks was brutally honest.
“I’m not going to make any excuses. It wasn’t there. All I can say is I stunk,” he said. “Going out there I’ve got to do a better job – if I do give up a run – of being able to hold it to a one or two-run inning. I can’t go out there and leave guys on with four guys already in. That’s unacceptable for me.”
Then, sounding an urgent tone following a 7-6 loss that dropped the Red Sox to 2-10 on the season, Jenks said it is time to start worrying about the way the team is playing two weeks into the season. Asked if it was too soon to consider the team in “real trouble,” Jenks answered honestly and without hesitation.
“I think we’re there now,” Jenks said. “We’re in a tough division. To come back right now, it’s going to take all year long. We need to get on it now if we’re going to turn this thing around.”
Jenks said he doesn’t understand why the team with so many expectations is off to such a bad start.
“I can’t,” Jenks said. “I wish I could. It just seems right now, nothing can go our way. It’s not like anybody is not trying out there. Everybody is busting their butt, doing everything they can to win these ball games but it seems like every night, one way or another, we’re coming up short.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven