Bobby Jenks: ‘All I can say is I stunk’
|04.16.11 at 12:56 am ET|
Coming into Friday’s game with the Blue Jays, Jenks had been a bright spot for the Red Sox this season – more like brilliant.
He faced 14 batters in four previous outings, retiring 12 of the 14 and walking the other two. He struck out five and hadn’t allowed a hit. In four innings, his ERA was a perfect Blutarsky-esque 0.00.
Then he faced Jayson Nix to open the seventh. He walked him. Then Yunel Escobar singled to left. Then the wheels came off. He struck out Corey Patterson for his only out, allowing four singles and threw a wild pitch as the Jays scored four times to break a 3-3 tie and held on for a 7-6 win.
Jenks was brutally honest.
“I’m not going to make any excuses. It wasn’t there. All I can say is I stunk,” he said. “Going out there I’ve got to do a better job – if I do give up a run – of being able to hold it to a one or two-run inning. I can’t go out there and leave guys on with four guys already in. That’s unacceptable for me.”
Then, sounding an urgent tone following a 7-6 loss that dropped the Red Sox to 2-10 on the season, Jenks said it is time to start worrying about the way the team is playing two weeks into the season. Asked if it was too soon to consider the team in “real trouble,” Jenks answered honestly and without hesitation.
“I think we’re there now,” Jenks said. “We’re in a tough division. To come back right now, it’s going to take all year long. We need to get on it now if we’re going to turn this thing around.”
Jenks said he doesn’t understand why the team with so many expectations is off to such a bad start.
“I can’t,” Jenks said. “I wish I could. It just seems right now, nothing can go our way. It’s not like anybody is not trying out there. Everybody is busting their butt, doing everything they can to win these ball games but it seems like every night, one way or another, we’re coming up short.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins