Kevin Youkilis found the booing of Daisuke Matsuzaka ‘a little shocking’
|04.18.11 at 3:59 pm ET|
As Daisuke Matsuzaka was being booed as he took the mound for the start of Monday’s game, Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis couldn’t believe his ears. Seven innings of one-hit, shutout pitching later, those boos turned to cheers as he left the mound. The pitcher who gave up seven runs and eight hits over two-plus innings seven days earlier turned in a great outing to lead the Red Sox to a 9-1 win over the Blue Jays.
Youkilis couldn’t help but find the irony in the situation.
[Click here to hear Kevin Youkilis ask for a little patience and understanding from the fans.]
“One thing that was a little shocking was before the game he got booed,” Youkilis said. “It’s funny how he came off the field, everyone was cheering. It’s kind of foot-in-the-mouth right there but it’s good how he responded to that, too.”
Youkilis went on to explain that he and the team understand the frustration of the bad start but that it’s still early in the season.
“That’s one of the things that’s tough right now,” he said. “We’re starting to play a little bit better and we know it’s frustating for all the fans out there and we’re just as much frustrated, too. Be positive and good things will happen and that’s just the message about everyone. We just got to stay positive in here, outside the clubhouse, and good things will happen.”
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Big weeks for Acosta and Welch
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster