Friday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Jon Lester vs. Dan Haren
|04.22.11 at 1:25 pm ET|
The second game of the Red Sox and Angels’ four-game set will feature what appeared to be the premier pitching matchup of the series going in, although it will now have to be pretty special to top Thursday night’s. Jon Lester, who has been solid in three starts since his struggles on opening day, will do battle with Dan Haren, who is 4-0 and has been virtually untouchable this year.
Haren will be looking to become the second Angels starter to reach 5-0 already this season after Jered Weaver accomplished the feat with a win Wednesday. Haren enters Friday’s game with a miniscule 1.16 ERA and 0.65 WHIP. He has allowed just 18 hits and two walks while striking out 27 over 31 innings.
Haren is just 2-5 in his career against Boston, but that record isn’t really indicative of his actual success. In eight starts, he has a 3.21 ERA and 1.18 WHIP. Moreover, current Red Sox are hitting just .217 against him.
Adrian Gonzalez has faced Haren the most, dating back to their days together in the NL West. Gonzalez has also been one of the few Sox to have any sort of success against him, hitting .289 with two home runs and six RBIs in 38 at-bats. David Ortiz has also done well in his 19 at-bats against the righty, as he is batting .368 with three homers and six RBIs.
Lester enters Friday’s showdown with a 1-1 record and 3.20 ERA. Since giving up five runs in 5 1/3 innings on opening day, he has allowed just four runs over 20 innings in his last three starts.
Lester hasn’t fared too well in his career against the Angels despite having a 2-1 record in five starts. He has a 5.86 ERA and 1.77 WHIP versus the Halos. Torii Hunter has the best track record against him, as he is hitting .385 with a homer and four RBIs in 13 career at-bats against the lefty.
Lester vs. Angels
Vernon Wells (35 career plate appearances): .179 BA/.314 OBP/.357 SLG, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 5 walks, 2 strikeouts
Bobby Abreu (21): .235/.381/.353, 3 RBI, 4 walks, 3 strikeouts
Erick Aybar (17): .286/.412/.357, 2 RBI, 3 walks
Howie Kendrick (17): .176/.176/.235, 3 strikeouts
Torii Hunter (15): .385/.467/.769, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Maicer Izturs (9): .375/.444/.625, 2 RBI, 1 walk
Alberto Callaspo (7): .167/.286/.333, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jeff Mathis (7): .333/.333/.500, 2 strikeouts
Reggie Willits (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk
Peter Bourjos, Hank Conger, Mark Trumbo and Bobby Wilson have never faced Lester.
Haren vs. Red Sox
Adrian Gonzalez (42): .289/.317/.500, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (27): .269/.296/.423, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Ortiz (22): .368/.455/.947, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Kevin Youkilis (16): .188/.188/.188, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (12): .083/.083/.083, 5 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (11): .100/.182/.200, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (10): .000/.100/.000, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Mike Cameron (9): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (7): .167/.143/.333, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk
Darnell McDonald (3): .000/.500/.000
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 strikeout
Jed Lowrie (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando