Friday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Jon Lester vs. Dan Haren
|04.22.11 at 1:25 pm ET|
The second game of the Red Sox and Angels’ four-game set will feature what appeared to be the premier pitching matchup of the series going in, although it will now have to be pretty special to top Thursday night’s. Jon Lester, who has been solid in three starts since his struggles on opening day, will do battle with Dan Haren, who is 4-0 and has been virtually untouchable this year.
Haren will be looking to become the second Angels starter to reach 5-0 already this season after Jered Weaver accomplished the feat with a win Wednesday. Haren enters Friday’s game with a miniscule 1.16 ERA and 0.65 WHIP. He has allowed just 18 hits and two walks while striking out 27 over 31 innings.
Haren is just 2-5 in his career against Boston, but that record isn’t really indicative of his actual success. In eight starts, he has a 3.21 ERA and 1.18 WHIP. Moreover, current Red Sox are hitting just .217 against him.
Adrian Gonzalez has faced Haren the most, dating back to their days together in the NL West. Gonzalez has also been one of the few Sox to have any sort of success against him, hitting .289 with two home runs and six RBIs in 38 at-bats. David Ortiz has also done well in his 19 at-bats against the righty, as he is batting .368 with three homers and six RBIs.
Lester enters Friday’s showdown with a 1-1 record and 3.20 ERA. Since giving up five runs in 5 1/3 innings on opening day, he has allowed just four runs over 20 innings in his last three starts.
Lester hasn’t fared too well in his career against the Angels despite having a 2-1 record in five starts. He has a 5.86 ERA and 1.77 WHIP versus the Halos. Torii Hunter has the best track record against him, as he is hitting .385 with a homer and four RBIs in 13 career at-bats against the lefty.
Lester vs. Angels
Vernon Wells (35 career plate appearances): .179 BA/.314 OBP/.357 SLG, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 5 walks, 2 strikeouts
Bobby Abreu (21): .235/.381/.353, 3 RBI, 4 walks, 3 strikeouts
Erick Aybar (17): .286/.412/.357, 2 RBI, 3 walks
Howie Kendrick (17): .176/.176/.235, 3 strikeouts
Torii Hunter (15): .385/.467/.769, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Maicer Izturs (9): .375/.444/.625, 2 RBI, 1 walk
Alberto Callaspo (7): .167/.286/.333, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jeff Mathis (7): .333/.333/.500, 2 strikeouts
Reggie Willits (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk
Peter Bourjos, Hank Conger, Mark Trumbo and Bobby Wilson have never faced Lester.
Haren vs. Red Sox
Adrian Gonzalez (42): .289/.317/.500, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (27): .269/.296/.423, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Ortiz (22): .368/.455/.947, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Kevin Youkilis (16): .188/.188/.188, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (12): .083/.083/.083, 5 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (11): .100/.182/.200, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (10): .000/.100/.000, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Mike Cameron (9): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (7): .167/.143/.333, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk
Darnell McDonald (3): .000/.500/.000
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 strikeout
Jed Lowrie (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win