Sunday’s Red Sox-Mariners matchups: Tim Wakefield vs. Felix Hernandez
|04.30.11 at 10:04 pm ET|
After Clay Buchholz was scratched from his start Sunday with a stomach illness, it will be Tim Wakefield who toes the rubber against Seattle for his first start of the season. Wakefield has made seven appearances out of the bullpen so far, notching a 5.56 ERA, 0.97 WHIP and no record in 11 1/3 innings.
Wakefield has struggled with the Mariners in his career. He is 4-10 with a 4.18 ERA and 1.41 WHIP in 27 career outings, including 17 starts. Wakefield lost his only start against Seattle last season, giving up four runs (three earned) on eight hits over 5 2/3 innings.
Current Mariners are hitting .272 against Wakefield. Jack Cust has done the most damage, as he is hitting .440 with four extra-base hits and five RBIs in 25 at-bats. Adam Kennedy, Miguel Olivo and Milton Bradley all have a home run and three RBIs off Wakefield.
If Wakefield’s poor record against Seattle wasn’t enough of a reason for Sox fans to be concerned, there’s also the fact that Felix Hernandez will be on the mound for the Mariners. The reigning American League Cy Young winner is 3-2 with a 3.32 ERA this season. He has won each of his last two starts against Oakland and Detroit, respectively, allowing just two earned runs on eight hits and five walks over 13 2/3 innings.
Moreover, Hernandez is 4-1 with a 2.91 ERA in eight career starts against Boston. He won his only start against the Sox last season, allowing just one earned run on four hits and a walk while striking out nine over 7 1/3 innings.
Current Red Sox are hitting .259 against Hernandez. J.D. Drew leads the way with a .391 average and two home runs in 23 at-bats. Adrian Gonzalez, David Ortiz and Mike Cameron all have a homer off Hernandez, too.
Wakefield vs. Mariners
Ichiro Suzuki (34 career plate appearances): .250 BA/.294 OBP/.250 SLG, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Adam Kennedy (30): .241/.267/.379, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Jack Cust (28): .440/.500/.600, 5 RBI, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Chone Figgins (27): .261/.346/.304, 2 RBI, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Miguel Olivo (15): .308/.400/.615, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Milton Bradley (14): .143/.143/.357, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Langerhans (4): .500/.500/1.000
Jack Wilson (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Luis Rodriguez (2): .000/.000/.000
Brendan Ryan (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Chris Gimenez (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Michael Saunders and Justin Smoak have never faced Wakefield.
Hernandez vs. Red Sox
Adrian Gonzalez (29): .296/.345/.481, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (27): .391/.481/.652, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (23): .273/.304/.318, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (22): .286/.318/.333, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (21): .211/.286/.263, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (19): .250/.368/.438, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Kevin Youkilis (17): .250/.294/.250, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (16): .133/.188/.133, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (14): .231/.286/.308, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (11): .100/.182/.100, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Cameron (10): .333/.400/.667, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jed Lowrie (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
Darnell McDonald has never faced Hernandez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss