Tuesday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Jon Lester vs. Dan Haren
|05.03.11 at 7:57 am ET|
After handing Angels No. 1 pitcher Jered Weaver his first loss of the season Monday night, the Red Sox now get to face the Angels’ 1-A starter in Dan Haren on Tuesday night. Haren, who is 4-1 this season, ranks second in the American League in ERA (1.23) and first in WHIP (0.75). As is the case with Weaver, Haren’s only loss came against the Sox. He gave up four runs (two earned) on five hits and three walks over six innings in a 4-3 Boston win on April 22.
With the loss, Haren dropped to 2-6 against the Sox in his career, although he does have a solid 3.19 ERA and 1.19 WHIP against them. David Ortiz has had plenty of success against Haren — he’s hitting .318 with three home runs and six RBIs in 22 career at-bats — but most of the Sox have struggled with him. As a team, Boston is hitting just .216 off Haren. No one has had a tougher go of it than Dustin Pedroia, who is 0-for-12 with a walk and five strikeouts in 13 plate appearances.
The Sox will counter Haren with an ace of their own in Jon Lester, who is 3-1 with a 2.52 ERA and 1.12 WHIP this season. The 27-year-old southpaw also opposed Haren in that April 22 game, and he earned the win by tossing six shutout innings. Lester, who has won each of his last three starts, improved to 3-1 against the Angels in his career. But in a reverse of Haren’s situation, Lester has a less-than-stellar 4.81 ERA and 1.63 WHIP against them.
Current Angels are hitting .238 against Lester. Torii Hunter has had the most success, as he is hitting .375 with a homer and four RBIs in 16 ABs. Vernon Wells, Bobby Abreu and Howie Kendrick — the three players with the most ABs — are all hitting .200 or worse against Lester.
Lester vs. Angels
Vernon Wells (38 career plate appearances): .194 BA/.316 OBP/.355 SLG, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 5 walks, 3 strikeouts
Bobby Abreu (24): .200/.333/.300, 3 RBI, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts
Howie Kendrick (20): .158/.200/.211, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Erick Aybar (19): .313/.421/.375, 2 RBI, 3 walks
Torii Hunter (18): .375/.444/.688, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Callaspo (9): .143/.333/.286, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (9): .375/.444/.625, 2 RBI, 1 walk
Jeff Mathis (9): .250/.250/.375, 3 strikeouts
Peter Bourjos (3): .333/.333/.667, 2 strikeouts
Mark Trumbo (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Hank Conger and Bobby Wilson have never faced Lester.
Haren vs. Red Sox
Adrian Gonzalez (45): .268/.295/.463, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (30): .241/.267/.379, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
David Ortiz (25): .318/.400/.818, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Kevin Youkilis (16): .188/.188/.188, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (15): .200/.200/.267, 1 RBI, 6 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (13): .000/.077/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (11): .100/.182/.200, 5 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (10): .125/.200/.250, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Cameron (9): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .250/.500/.500, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .333/.333/.667, 1 strikeout
Jed Lowrie (5): .500/.600/1.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Darnell McDonald (3): .000/.500/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players