Tuesday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Jon Lester vs. Dan Haren
|05.03.11 at 7:57 am ET|
After handing Angels No. 1 pitcher Jered Weaver his first loss of the season Monday night, the Red Sox now get to face the Angels’ 1-A starter in Dan Haren on Tuesday night. Haren, who is 4-1 this season, ranks second in the American League in ERA (1.23) and first in WHIP (0.75). As is the case with Weaver, Haren’s only loss came against the Sox. He gave up four runs (two earned) on five hits and three walks over six innings in a 4-3 Boston win on April 22.
With the loss, Haren dropped to 2-6 against the Sox in his career, although he does have a solid 3.19 ERA and 1.19 WHIP against them. David Ortiz has had plenty of success against Haren — he’s hitting .318 with three home runs and six RBIs in 22 career at-bats — but most of the Sox have struggled with him. As a team, Boston is hitting just .216 off Haren. No one has had a tougher go of it than Dustin Pedroia, who is 0-for-12 with a walk and five strikeouts in 13 plate appearances.
The Sox will counter Haren with an ace of their own in Jon Lester, who is 3-1 with a 2.52 ERA and 1.12 WHIP this season. The 27-year-old southpaw also opposed Haren in that April 22 game, and he earned the win by tossing six shutout innings. Lester, who has won each of his last three starts, improved to 3-1 against the Angels in his career. But in a reverse of Haren’s situation, Lester has a less-than-stellar 4.81 ERA and 1.63 WHIP against them.
Current Angels are hitting .238 against Lester. Torii Hunter has had the most success, as he is hitting .375 with a homer and four RBIs in 16 ABs. Vernon Wells, Bobby Abreu and Howie Kendrick — the three players with the most ABs — are all hitting .200 or worse against Lester.
Lester vs. Angels
Vernon Wells (38 career plate appearances): .194 BA/.316 OBP/.355 SLG, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 5 walks, 3 strikeouts
Bobby Abreu (24): .200/.333/.300, 3 RBI, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts
Howie Kendrick (20): .158/.200/.211, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Erick Aybar (19): .313/.421/.375, 2 RBI, 3 walks
Torii Hunter (18): .375/.444/.688, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Callaspo (9): .143/.333/.286, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (9): .375/.444/.625, 2 RBI, 1 walk
Jeff Mathis (9): .250/.250/.375, 3 strikeouts
Peter Bourjos (3): .333/.333/.667, 2 strikeouts
Mark Trumbo (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Hank Conger and Bobby Wilson have never faced Lester.
Haren vs. Red Sox
Adrian Gonzalez (45): .268/.295/.463, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (30): .241/.267/.379, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
David Ortiz (25): .318/.400/.818, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Kevin Youkilis (16): .188/.188/.188, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (15): .200/.200/.267, 1 RBI, 6 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (13): .000/.077/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jason Varitek (11): .100/.182/.200, 5 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (10): .125/.200/.250, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Cameron (9): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .250/.500/.500, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .333/.333/.667, 1 strikeout
Jed Lowrie (5): .500/.600/1.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Darnell McDonald (3): .000/.500/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando