Josh Beckett explains caution centered around illness, not injury
|05.05.11 at 6:11 pm ET|
Josh Beckett said Thursday morning, after giving up just one hit and no runs over 4 1/3 innings in his 68-pitch outing the night before, that the reason the Red Sox were watching him so closely was because of a stomach flu that had him dehydrated for much of the last week.
Beckett said he had joined almost half of the Red Sox’ 25-man roster in contracting the sickness, that, coupled with the 125-pitch outing two starts before, had the Sox taking a cautious approach when it came to the righty. He had been pushed back one day, going into his latest start on six days rest.
“I’ve been fatigued,” he explained. “I had that stomach flue stuff that was going on. (Being watched closely during the bullpen session) was a convincing deal where after extending me and being dehydrated, it was just precautionary. They were definitely going to give me extra rest, they just wanted to know how much more extra rest I needed.
“It’s not necessarily just the actual stuff it does to you at the time, but I was literally really dehydrated bad.”
Beckett downplayed any affect the eight-inning outing on April 21 in Anaheim had on how he felt going forward.
“I would have been fine if I didn’t come down with what I came down with,” said Beckett, whose ERA stands at 2.35. “I think they were really trying to make sure something bad didn’t happen because the dehydration is a bad thing.
“I don’t feel normal (because of the sickness). I had to kind of save up my energy for my start last time. This stuff rapidly went through our team. It’s bad.”
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!