Terry Francona expects to be without Marco Scutaro ‘for a while’
|05.08.11 at 11:58 am ET|
Shortstop Marco Scutaro had an MRI Sunday morning and was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain. The team expects him to be out indefinitely, according to Red Sox manager Terry Francona.
“He’s over getting get an MRI,” Francona said before Sunday’s game with the Twins. “His left oblique had been a little tender for a few days and after the rain delay [Saturday] he went back out, and I don’t know the exact incident, it started grabbing at him, and actually started grabbing at him pretty good.
“Even knowing the MRI wasn’t going to be till this morning, we know he’s going to be down for a while with his symptoms so we got Iglesias here.”
The Red Sox had to call up rookie Jose Iglesias since Yamaico Navarro also sustained an oblique strain and was placed on the seven-day disabled list on Saturday by Triple-A Pawtucket.
The Red Sox won Saturday despite having three-fourths of their infield either sick or on the bench. Kevin Youkilis – who started as the DH – came in to play third base in the ninth while Jed Lowrie nearly didn’t make it through because he got sick during the rain delay.
“We were in a little bit of a bind,” Francona said. “Youk was DHing, Lowrie was sick and we didn’t know if Jed was going to be able to play after the rain delay so we were kind of dealing with that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system