Terry Francona expects to be without Marco Scutaro ‘for a while’
|05.08.11 at 11:58 am ET|
Shortstop Marco Scutaro had an MRI Sunday morning and was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain. The team expects him to be out indefinitely, according to Red Sox manager Terry Francona.
“He’s over getting get an MRI,” Francona said before Sunday’s game with the Twins. “His left oblique had been a little tender for a few days and after the rain delay [Saturday] he went back out, and I don’t know the exact incident, it started grabbing at him, and actually started grabbing at him pretty good.
“Even knowing the MRI wasn’t going to be till this morning, we know he’s going to be down for a while with his symptoms so we got Iglesias here.”
The Red Sox had to call up rookie Jose Iglesias since Yamaico Navarro also sustained an oblique strain and was placed on the seven-day disabled list on Saturday by Triple-A Pawtucket.
The Red Sox won Saturday despite having three-fourths of their infield either sick or on the bench. Kevin Youkilis – who started as the DH – came in to play third base in the ninth while Jed Lowrie nearly didn’t make it through because he got sick during the rain delay.
“We were in a little bit of a bind,” Francona said. “Youk was DHing, Lowrie was sick and we didn’t know if Jed was going to be able to play after the rain delay so we were kind of dealing with that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts