Jarrod Saltalamacchia after home run: ‘I’m feeling more comfortable’
|05.23.11 at 3:17 am ET|
Jarrod Saltalamacchia drew criticism for his slow start at the plate this season after hitting just .216 (11-for-51) with six RBIs in the month of April.
Those critics are nowhere to be found now, as the young Red Sox catcher is batting .389 (7-for-18) with three home runs and one double in his last five games.
‘I’m feeling more comfortable,’ said Saltalamacchia, who was 1-for-4 with a solo home run to left field in the fifth inning of Sunday night’s 5-1 win over the Cubs. ‘As soon as I managed to slow things down, I’ve been putting good at-bats together.’
Saltalamacchia managed only four hits in 29 at-bats (.137 batting average) in his first 10 games, but thanks to his recent hitting tear at the plate, he’s raised his season batting average to .237 (22-for-93).
‘At the beginning of the season I was pressing a little bit, trying to go out and hit everything as hard as I could,” he explained. “Now, I’m kind of letting the ball get deeper. I’m not trying to pull everything, I’m trying to put it in the big part of the park, and good things happen.’
Not only has Saltalamacchia seen a boost in his average, but also his slugging percentage, which was a mere .258 after the Red Sox’ 11-0 loss to the Angels on May 5. Saltalamacchia’s slugging percentage now sits at .398.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two