Jarrod Saltalamacchia after home run: ‘I’m feeling more comfortable’
|05.23.11 at 3:17 am ET|
Jarrod Saltalamacchia drew criticism for his slow start at the plate this season after hitting just .216 (11-for-51) with six RBIs in the month of April.
Those critics are nowhere to be found now, as the young Red Sox catcher is batting .389 (7-for-18) with three home runs and one double in his last five games.
‘I’m feeling more comfortable,’ said Saltalamacchia, who was 1-for-4 with a solo home run to left field in the fifth inning of Sunday night’s 5-1 win over the Cubs. ‘As soon as I managed to slow things down, I’ve been putting good at-bats together.’
Saltalamacchia managed only four hits in 29 at-bats (.137 batting average) in his first 10 games, but thanks to his recent hitting tear at the plate, he’s raised his season batting average to .237 (22-for-93).
‘At the beginning of the season I was pressing a little bit, trying to go out and hit everything as hard as I could,” he explained. “Now, I’m kind of letting the ball get deeper. I’m not trying to pull everything, I’m trying to put it in the big part of the park, and good things happen.’
Not only has Saltalamacchia seen a boost in his average, but also his slugging percentage, which was a mere .258 after the Red Sox’ 11-0 loss to the Angels on May 5. Saltalamacchia’s slugging percentage now sits at .398.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday