Kevin Youkilis gives new meaning to the ‘Hundred Years War’
|05.23.11 at 12:35 am ET|
Kevin Youkilis, the man who has been hit more than any other batter in Red Sox history, believes the Cubs might have been given an extra chance to equal the score on Sunday night from Saturday’s beanball exchange that left Marlon Byrd with several fractures below his left eye.
On Sunday night – with the Red Sox up, 5-1, in the eighth inning – Kerry Wood came inside on Jed Lowrie with his first pitch. He just missed hitting him. He didn’t miss with the second, drilling him on the back of the leg. Home plate umpire Ed Hickox warned both teams and no one was ejected.
“I understand the whole thing,” Youkilis said. “You throw it once and you miss, and you throw it again. I don’t know why. I guess they felt like they needed to get another one in because we hit them twice. It’s the game of baseball.
“No, I didn’t see that coming but the other day they’re upset they didn’t like the warning when I got hit [Saturday]. They’re saying two guys got hit to one so, I guess now we’re even until 100 years from now when we play again.”
Cubs manager Mike Quade had a slightly different take. He wasn’t upset at Hickox or the umpiring crew for the warning Sunday night in the eighth inning since he believes it was directed more toward the Red Sox than it was his team.
“No,” answered Quade when asked if the warning upset him. “They have to do what they have to do. They warned us [Saturday] night. I guess that was a warning for them. That’s the way I look at stuff. That’s OK.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo