Kevin Youkilis gives new meaning to the ‘Hundred Years War’
|05.23.11 at 12:35 am ET|
Kevin Youkilis, the man who has been hit more than any other batter in Red Sox history, believes the Cubs might have been given an extra chance to equal the score on Sunday night from Saturday’s beanball exchange that left Marlon Byrd with several fractures below his left eye.
On Sunday night – with the Red Sox up, 5-1, in the eighth inning – Kerry Wood came inside on Jed Lowrie with his first pitch. He just missed hitting him. He didn’t miss with the second, drilling him on the back of the leg. Home plate umpire Ed Hickox warned both teams and no one was ejected.
“I understand the whole thing,” Youkilis said. “You throw it once and you miss, and you throw it again. I don’t know why. I guess they felt like they needed to get another one in because we hit them twice. It’s the game of baseball.
“No, I didn’t see that coming but the other day they’re upset they didn’t like the warning when I got hit [Saturday]. They’re saying two guys got hit to one so, I guess now we’re even until 100 years from now when we play again.”
Cubs manager Mike Quade had a slightly different take. He wasn’t upset at Hickox or the umpiring crew for the warning Sunday night in the eighth inning since he believes it was directed more toward the Red Sox than it was his team.
“No,” answered Quade when asked if the warning upset him. “They have to do what they have to do. They warned us [Saturday] night. I guess that was a warning for them. That’s the way I look at stuff. That’s OK.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot