Still no surgery seen for Daisuke Matsuzaka
|06.01.11 at 11:44 am ET|
“Diagnostically, everything is kind of the same,” Francona said before Wednesday’s matinee with the White Sox at Fenway Park. “We have to figure how to best go about this. The player or pitcher has to have some opinion, too. But I think you’re always going to go about it non-operatively, first. That just seems like it makes sense to me.”
Matsuzaka is expected back in Boston Wednesday night after getting recent consultation in his homeland of Japan. Matsuzaka is expected to sit down with Red Sox team officials after team doctor Tom Gill and renowned orthopedic specialist Lewis Yocum confer.
“We’re going to meet with him, again we got the day off [Thursday],” Francona said. “I don’t know what our timetable is. Theo and those guys got all those meetings going on. We will certainly meet with him the next couple days. We want to sit down kind of put our heads together, see how he feels, we’ll let Dr. Gill have their talk with Dr. Yocum and then try to plan out how we go about this the next couple weeks.”
Asked if the plan was still to have Matsuzaka rest the arm and not throw, Francona joked that the plan is still the same.
“Well he’s not going to throw on the plane, yeah,” Francona said with a laugh.
The righthander went on the disabled list on May 17 with a strained right elbow after posting a 3-3 record with a 5.30 ERA in eight appearances for the Red Sox this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela