Still no surgery seen for Daisuke Matsuzaka
|06.01.11 at 11:44 am ET|
“Diagnostically, everything is kind of the same,” Francona said before Wednesday’s matinee with the White Sox at Fenway Park. “We have to figure how to best go about this. The player or pitcher has to have some opinion, too. But I think you’re always going to go about it non-operatively, first. That just seems like it makes sense to me.”
Matsuzaka is expected back in Boston Wednesday night after getting recent consultation in his homeland of Japan. Matsuzaka is expected to sit down with Red Sox team officials after team doctor Tom Gill and renowned orthopedic specialist Lewis Yocum confer.
“We’re going to meet with him, again we got the day off [Thursday],” Francona said. “I don’t know what our timetable is. Theo and those guys got all those meetings going on. We will certainly meet with him the next couple days. We want to sit down kind of put our heads together, see how he feels, we’ll let Dr. Gill have their talk with Dr. Yocum and then try to plan out how we go about this the next couple weeks.”
Asked if the plan was still to have Matsuzaka rest the arm and not throw, Francona joked that the plan is still the same.
“Well he’s not going to throw on the plane, yeah,” Francona said with a laugh.
The righthander went on the disabled list on May 17 with a strained right elbow after posting a 3-3 record with a 5.30 ERA in eight appearances for the Red Sox this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers