Still no surgery seen for Daisuke Matsuzaka
|06.01.11 at 11:44 am ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Wednesday that the team does not expect Daisuke Matsuzaka to undergo surgery after getting a second opinion on his injured right elbow in Japan.
“Diagnostically, everything is kind of the same,” Francona said before Wednesday’s matinee with the White Sox at Fenway Park. “We have to figure how to best go about this. The player or pitcher has to have some opinion, too. But I think you’re always going to go about it non-operatively, first. That just seems like it makes sense to me.”
Matsuzaka is expected back in Boston Wednesday night after getting recent consultation in his homeland of Japan. Matsuzaka is expected to sit down with Red Sox team officials after team doctor Tom Gill and renowned orthopedic specialist Lewis Yocum confer.
“We’re going to meet with him, again we got the day off [Thursday],” Francona said. “I don’t know what our timetable is. Theo and those guys got all those meetings going on. We will certainly meet with him the next couple days. We want to sit down kind of put our heads together, see how he feels, we’ll let Dr. Gill have their talk with Dr. Yocum and then try to plan out how we go about this the next couple weeks.”
Asked if the plan was still to have Matsuzaka rest the arm and not throw, Francona joked that the plan is still the same.
“Well he’s not going to throw on the plane, yeah,” Francona said with a laugh.
The righthander went on the disabled list on May 17 with a strained right elbow after posting a 3-3 record with a 5.30 ERA in eight appearances for the Red Sox this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches