‘Anxious’ and ‘shocked’ Daisuke Matsuzaka doesn’t think he’s done in Boston
|06.05.11 at 1:54 pm ET|
Daisuke Matsuzaka spoke Sunday morning for the first time since deciding to have “Tommy John” ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow. The Red Sox pitcher ‘ in the fifth year of a six-year contract ‘ said he was stunned when Dr. Lewis Yocum told him that surgery was the most realistic way to fully heal his injury.
‘The ligament is torn and I was told to fix it perfectly, I need to have the surgery,” Matsuzaka said. “That’s why I’m getting the surgery.”
Matsuzaka was 3-3 this season with a 5.30 ERA in seven starts and one relief appearance. He signed a six-year, $52 million contract before the 2007 season and has a 49-30 mark with a 4.25 ERA in four-plus seasons in Boston.
‘It’s actually my first time to get an operation and all I can say is I’m very shocked when it comes to these results,” Matsuzaka said through an interpreter. ‘I decided to have the surgery the same day the team officially announced [Friday].’
Matsuzaka said the decision on when to have the surgery will be finalized Monday.
With full recovery expected to take between 12 and 14 months, Matsuzaka was asked if he felt his Red Sox career was over.
‘It’s difficult to say at this point,” added Matsuzaka. “But, you know, what I can do is do my best and come back to the game as soon as I can. It’s difficult, but what I can do is do my best and come back to the game as soon as I can. All I have right now is anxiety, so all I can do is do what I have to do my best, and come back to the game.’
Matsuzaka – who won Game 7 of the 2007 ALCS against the Indians and Game 3 of the ’07 World Series – believes he is not done with the Red Sox.
‘I don’t think of it that way,” Matsuzaka said. “For sure, I hope I come back to the game again with the Red Sox uniform. If I wouldn’t come back to the game, I will have to talk about that next time.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo