‘Anxious’ and ‘shocked’ Daisuke Matsuzaka doesn’t think he’s done in Boston
|06.05.11 at 1:54 pm ET|
Daisuke Matsuzaka spoke Sunday morning for the first time since deciding to have “Tommy John” ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow. The Red Sox pitcher ‘ in the fifth year of a six-year contract ‘ said he was stunned when Dr. Lewis Yocum told him that surgery was the most realistic way to fully heal his injury.
‘The ligament is torn and I was told to fix it perfectly, I need to have the surgery,” Matsuzaka said. “That’s why I’m getting the surgery.”
Matsuzaka was 3-3 this season with a 5.30 ERA in seven starts and one relief appearance. He signed a six-year, $52 million contract before the 2007 season and has a 49-30 mark with a 4.25 ERA in four-plus seasons in Boston.
‘It’s actually my first time to get an operation and all I can say is I’m very shocked when it comes to these results,” Matsuzaka said through an interpreter. ‘I decided to have the surgery the same day the team officially announced [Friday].’
Matsuzaka said the decision on when to have the surgery will be finalized Monday.
With full recovery expected to take between 12 and 14 months, Matsuzaka was asked if he felt his Red Sox career was over.
‘It’s difficult to say at this point,” added Matsuzaka. “But, you know, what I can do is do my best and come back to the game as soon as I can. It’s difficult, but what I can do is do my best and come back to the game as soon as I can. All I have right now is anxiety, so all I can do is do what I have to do my best, and come back to the game.’
Matsuzaka – who won Game 7 of the 2007 ALCS against the Indians and Game 3 of the ’07 World Series – believes he is not done with the Red Sox.
‘I don’t think of it that way,” Matsuzaka said. “For sure, I hope I come back to the game again with the Red Sox uniform. If I wouldn’t come back to the game, I will have to talk about that next time.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven