Red Sox take high school lefthander Henry Owens with third pick
|06.06.11 at 10:37 pm ET|
One pick after they grabbed a high school catcher, the Red Sox targeted another demographic on whom they rarely use their top draft picks. The Sox took 6-foot-7 left-hander Henry Owens out of Edison High School in Huntington Beach, a pitcher with an impressive track record of success against advanced competition in the baseball hotbed of Southern California.
The last time that the Red Sox used a first round or sandwich pick on a high school left-hander? Until Monday, that would be 1997, when the team selected John Curtice with a first-round pick (No. 17 overall) out of Virginia.
It was a miss. Curtice went 4-10 with a 4.76 ERA in four years; he was done with affiliated baseball before he turned 21.
The Sox hope that they fare better with Owens, a pitcher with a low-effort delivery who reportedly works in the 87-91 mph range. That said, he flashed a velocity bump at times as a senior, hitting 94 mph. Based on the frame alone, his velocity would be projectable, and indeed, Baseball America said that he touched 94 mph as a senior, even if he typically sits at a more modest velocity. He also features a curveball, slider, cutter and changeup.
Owens was rated the No. 33 overall prospect in the draft this year by Baseball America.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome