Red Sox take high school lefthander Henry Owens with third pick
|06.06.11 at 10:37 pm ET|
One pick after they grabbed a high school catcher, the Red Sox targeted another demographic on whom they rarely use their top draft picks. The Sox took 6-foot-7 left-hander Henry Owens out of Edison High School in Huntington Beach, a pitcher with an impressive track record of success against advanced competition in the baseball hotbed of Southern California.
The last time that the Red Sox used a first round or sandwich pick on a high school left-hander? Until Monday, that would be 1997, when the team selected John Curtice with a first-round pick (No. 17 overall) out of Virginia.
It was a miss. Curtice went 4-10 with a 4.76 ERA in four years; he was done with affiliated baseball before he turned 21.
The Sox hope that they fare better with Owens, a pitcher with a low-effort delivery who reportedly works in the 87-91 mph range. That said, he flashed a velocity bump at times as a senior, hitting 94 mph. Based on the frame alone, his velocity would be projectable, and indeed, Baseball America said that he touched 94 mph as a senior, even if he typically sits at a more modest velocity. He also features a curveball, slider, cutter and changeup.
Owens was rated the No. 33 overall prospect in the draft this year by Baseball America.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies