Red Sox take high school lefthander Henry Owens with third pick
|06.06.11 at 10:37 pm ET|
One pick after they grabbed a high school catcher, the Red Sox targeted another demographic on whom they rarely use their top draft picks. The Sox took 6-foot-7 left-hander Henry Owens out of Edison High School in Huntington Beach, a pitcher with an impressive track record of success against advanced competition in the baseball hotbed of Southern California.
The last time that the Red Sox used a first round or sandwich pick on a high school left-hander? Until Monday, that would be 1997, when the team selected John Curtice with a first-round pick (No. 17 overall) out of Virginia.
It was a miss. Curtice went 4-10 with a 4.76 ERA in four years; he was done with affiliated baseball before he turned 21.
The Sox hope that they fare better with Owens, a pitcher with a low-effort delivery who reportedly works in the 87-91 mph range. That said, he flashed a velocity bump at times as a senior, hitting 94 mph. Based on the frame alone, his velocity would be projectable, and indeed, Baseball America said that he touched 94 mph as a senior, even if he typically sits at a more modest velocity. He also features a curveball, slider, cutter and changeup.
Owens was rated the No. 33 overall prospect in the draft this year by Baseball America.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles