The latest Red Sox draft buzz: final expert predictions
|06.06.11 at 4:04 pm ET|
Here is the latest of what the experts are saying regarding the Red Sox and their first round selections:
– Baseball Prospectus has changed its prediction for the No. 19 pick. Earlier they had the Sox taking right-hander Alex Meyer from Kentucky. Now, the site predicts the club will take C.J. Cron, a first-baseman out of Utah. Cron is predicted to go as early as No. 10, so he might not be available at No. 19. In that case, the site suggests, the Sox might target outfielder Josh Bell or outfielder Brandon Nimmo. They are staying true with their prediction with the No. 26 pick as they say the Sox will take high school catcher Blake Swihart from New Mexico.
– Baseball America has also posted its final mock draft. They expect the Sox to be fairly conservative with the No. 19 pick and then get aggressive with their next three picks. They say the Sox are hoping for a big-name college pitcher to fall to them, and predict that they will select right-handed pitcher Sonny Gray out of Vanderbilt. At No. 26 they predict the Sox will pick high school catcher Austin Hedges out of California.
– Yahoo! Sports has posted its final mock draft as well. They say the Sox will select the best player available with the No. 19 pick and they believe that will be Taylor Guerrieri, a right-handed pitcher from South Carolina. At No. 26 they predict the Sox will select left-hander Matt Purke out of TCU. Purke was once predicted by some as the number one pick in the draft, but has slipped because of shoulder concerns and a loss in his velocity.
– MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo has published his final mock draft. With the No. 19 pick he has the Sox selecting Alex Meyer, a right-hander out of Kentucky. He says after two years of struggling, he has started to pitch well and because of that has moved up into the top 2/3 of the first round. At No. 26 he predicts high school catcher Blake Swihart, out of New Mexico will go to the Sox. He says he is one of the best high school catchers in the draft and will come with a high price tag.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?