The latest Red Sox draft buzz: Noon
|06.06.11 at 12:05 pm ET|
With the countdown to tonight’s draft now in full swing, here are the latest suggests about who the Red Sox might take with their early picks, as well as more reports about players whom the team has scouted and/or worked out:
– MLB draft expert Keith Law of ESPN.com has published his final mock draft. He has the Red Sox selecting right-hander Alex Meyer out of Kentucky with the No. 19 pick. He also notes that they could select Jed Bradley (LHP, Georgia Tech), Sonny Gray (RHP, Vanderbilt) or Mikie Mahtook (OF, LSU) if they were to be available when the Sox are on the clock. With the No. 26 he has them picking left-hander Chris Reed out of Stanford. A lot of experts have the Sox selecting high school outfielder Josh Bell from Texas but according to Law those rumors are “overheated.”
– Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus published his mock draft on Friday. With the No. 19 pick he has the Sox picking Alex Meyer (RHP, Kentucky). He, like Law, says the Sox are hoping a few players drop and are available when they pick. At No. 26 he has catcher Blake Swihart, a high school catcher out of New Mexico going to the Sox. He also notes that Meyer could fall and the Sox could get him with No. 26 instead of at No. 19.
– The Red Sox have interest in high school outfielder Williams Jerez from Brooklyn, NY. He would most likely be drafted within the first two rounds. The Mets, Yankees and Blue Jays have also shown interest. He worked out with the Mets before their game on Sunday and he belted two home runs into the second deck in right field. If he does not end up signing with a team he has plans to play Junior college in Texas.
– Chaz Hebert (LHP, Breaux Bridge HS) is also reportedly on the Sox radar for day two of the draft. “I’ve seen projections between the third and fifth rounds, but the teams do what they want to do. It’s a big business. You never know what’s going to happen,” Hebert said. Hebert was the District 6-4A MVP and made the Class 4A all-state team (Louisiana), going 6-2 with a 1.36 ERA and 86 strikeouts in 56 2/3 innings. He has signed to play for Louisiana-Lafayette, but could turn professional.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo