The latest Red Sox draft buzz: Noon
|06.06.11 at 12:05 pm ET|
With the countdown to tonight’s draft now in full swing, here are the latest suggests about who the Red Sox might take with their early picks, as well as more reports about players whom the team has scouted and/or worked out:
- MLB draft expert Keith Law of ESPN.com has published his final mock draft. He has the Red Sox selecting right-hander Alex Meyer out of Kentucky with the No. 19 pick. He also notes that they could select Jed Bradley (LHP, Georgia Tech), Sonny Gray (RHP, Vanderbilt) or Mikie Mahtook (OF, LSU) if they were to be available when the Sox are on the clock. With the No. 26 he has them picking left-hander Chris Reed out of Stanford. A lot of experts have the Sox selecting high school outfielder Josh Bell from Texas but according to Law those rumors are “overheated.”
- Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus published his mock draft on Friday. With the No. 19 pick he has the Sox picking Alex Meyer (RHP, Kentucky). He, like Law, says the Sox are hoping a few players drop and are available when they pick. At No. 26 he has catcher Blake Swihart, a high school catcher out of New Mexico going to the Sox. He also notes that Meyer could fall and the Sox could get him with No. 26 instead of at No. 19.
- The Red Sox have interest in high school outfielder Williams Jerez from Brooklyn, NY. He would most likely be drafted within the first two rounds. The Mets, Yankees and Blue Jays have also shown interest. He worked out with the Mets before their game on Sunday and he belted two home runs into the second deck in right field. If he does not end up signing with a team he has plans to play Junior college in Texas.
- Chaz Hebert (LHP, Breaux Bridge HS) is also reportedly on the Sox radar for day two of the draft. “I’ve seen projections between the third and fifth rounds, but the teams do what they want to do. It’s a big business. You never know what’s going to happen,” Hebert said. Hebert was the District 6-4A MVP and made the Class 4A all-state team (Louisiana), going 6-2 with a 1.36 ERA and 86 strikeouts in 56 2/3 innings. He has signed to play for Louisiana-Lafayette, but could turn professional.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title