The latest Red Sox draft buzz: Who met with the Sox?
|06.06.11 at 2:29 pm ET|
– Last week the Sox worked out Keene State right-hander Corey Vogt at Fenway Park. Vogt, a lifelong Yankees fan, reportedly joked with general manager Theo Epstein before taking to the mound.
“I told him you better draft me if I’m doing this for you,” Vogt said about pitching on the Fenway Park mound.
On the year, the reliever was 3-2 with a 2.82 ERA. Vogt had an impressive 30 strikeouts in 22 1/3 innings.
– The Red Sox actually used Skype to conduct a psychological review with prospect Dillon Maples, a high school pitcher from North Carolina. The right-hander was recently named the Gatorade Player of the Year in North Carolina. He has accepted an offer to play baseball at the University of North Carolina, and is also interested in joining the football team as a kicker/punter.
Maples’ father, Tim reached the Triple-A level of the Orioles organization. He was selected No. 45 overall in the 1979 draft.
– Red Sox scouts were in attendance at last week’s Virgin Islands Future Stars pre-draft workout in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Top prospects that worked out there were Deshorn Lake and Richard White. Lake, who has signed to play at East Carolina University, has a fastball that tops out at 90 MPH. White, who did not play baseball last year for academic reasons, reportedly has a fastball that can top out at close to 96 MPH.
– Many of the experts have the Sox connected with right-handed pitcher Alex Meyer out of Kentucky in the first round. ESPN.com draft expert Jason Churchill says that he has the best breaking ball (slider) of the entire draft (Insider only). He says that it can occasionally be “unhittable.” WEEI.com’s Alex Speier looks at the Sox’ attempts to sign Meyer after drafting him in 2008.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston