The latest Red Sox draft buzz: Who met with the Sox?
|06.06.11 at 2:29 pm ET|
– Last week the Sox worked out Keene State right-hander Corey Vogt at Fenway Park. Vogt, a lifelong Yankees fan, reportedly joked with general manager Theo Epstein before taking to the mound.
“I told him you better draft me if I’m doing this for you,” Vogt said about pitching on the Fenway Park mound.
On the year, the reliever was 3-2 with a 2.82 ERA. Vogt had an impressive 30 strikeouts in 22 1/3 innings.
– The Red Sox actually used Skype to conduct a psychological review with prospect Dillon Maples, a high school pitcher from North Carolina. The right-hander was recently named the Gatorade Player of the Year in North Carolina. He has accepted an offer to play baseball at the University of North Carolina, and is also interested in joining the football team as a kicker/punter.
Maples’ father, Tim reached the Triple-A level of the Orioles organization. He was selected No. 45 overall in the 1979 draft.
– Red Sox scouts were in attendance at last week’s Virgin Islands Future Stars pre-draft workout in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Top prospects that worked out there were Deshorn Lake and Richard White. Lake, who has signed to play at East Carolina University, has a fastball that tops out at 90 MPH. White, who did not play baseball last year for academic reasons, reportedly has a fastball that can top out at close to 96 MPH.
– Many of the experts have the Sox connected with right-handed pitcher Alex Meyer out of Kentucky in the first round. ESPN.com draft expert Jason Churchill says that he has the best breaking ball (slider) of the entire draft (Insider only). He says that it can occasionally be “unhittable.” WEEI.com’s Alex Speier looks at the Sox’ attempts to sign Meyer after drafting him in 2008.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Kimbrel