Who are the experts predicting the Sox will select?
|06.06.11 at 5:18 am ET|
The Red Sox have four of the first 40 picks in Monday nights first round of the Major League Baseball draft. In the first round they pick at No. 19 and No. 26. In the sandwich round they have overall picks No. 36 and No. 40.
General manager Theo Epstein knows how hard it is to evaluate talent for the draft. “You are looking at 17-18 year old kids in high school who are off playing against very poor competition and trying to predict what they are going to look like, pitch like, and what they are going to be as people 10 years later when they are 27 years old,” he said.
“It’s just a fascinating process just getting to know the kids and getting a feel for projection of what you are looking for in high school and college kids and for what works and doesn’t work in the draft. Again, nine out of 10 of these kids don’t make it.”
Below is a look at who some of the top experts and websites are predicting the Red Sox will select on Monday night.
No. 19 (for Victor Martinez)– Baseball America: Josh Bell (OF, Dallas Jesuit HS, Texas), MLB.com: Blake Swihart ( C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Sox Prospects: Alex Meyer (RHP, Kentucky), Prospect Junkies: Alex Meyer (RHP, Kentucky), Mymlbdraft.com: Jed Bradley (LHP, Georgia Tech), Minorleagueball.com: Daniel Norris (LHP, Science Hill, Tennessee).
No. 26 (for Adrian Beltre)– Baseball America: Austin Hedges (C, JSerra HS), MLB.com: Andrew Susac (C, Oregon State), Sox Prospects: Josh Bell (OF, Dallas Jesuit HS, Texas), Prospect Junkies: Blake Swihart (C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Mymlbdraft.com: Tyler Beede (RHP, Lawrence Academy, Massachusetts), Minorleagueball.com: Tyler Beede (RHP, Lawrence Academy, Massachusetts).
No. 36 (for Martinez)– Sox Prospects: Dillon Maples (RHP, Pinecrest HS, North Carolina), Mymlbdraft.com: Blake Swihart (C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Minorleagueball.com: Austin Hedges (C, JSerra HS, California).
No 40 (for Beltre)– Sox Prospects: Blake Swihart (C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Mymlbdraft.com: Grayson Garvin (LHP, Vanderbilt), Minorleagueball.com: Anthony Meo (RHP, Coastal Carolina).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston