Who are the experts predicting the Sox will select?
|06.06.11 at 5:18 am ET|
The Red Sox have four of the first 40 picks in Monday nights first round of the Major League Baseball draft. In the first round they pick at No. 19 and No. 26. In the sandwich round they have overall picks No. 36 and No. 40.
General manager Theo Epstein knows how hard it is to evaluate talent for the draft. “You are looking at 17-18 year old kids in high school who are off playing against very poor competition and trying to predict what they are going to look like, pitch like, and what they are going to be as people 10 years later when they are 27 years old,” he said.
“It’s just a fascinating process just getting to know the kids and getting a feel for projection of what you are looking for in high school and college kids and for what works and doesn’t work in the draft. Again, nine out of 10 of these kids don’t make it.”
Below is a look at who some of the top experts and websites are predicting the Red Sox will select on Monday night.
No. 19 (for Victor Martinez)- Baseball America: Josh Bell (OF, Dallas Jesuit HS, Texas), MLB.com: Blake Swihart ( C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Sox Prospects: Alex Meyer (RHP, Kentucky), Prospect Junkies: Alex Meyer (RHP, Kentucky), Mymlbdraft.com: Jed Bradley (LHP, Georgia Tech), Minorleagueball.com: Daniel Norris (LHP, Science Hill, Tennessee).
No. 26 (for Adrian Beltre)- Baseball America: Austin Hedges (C, JSerra HS), MLB.com: Andrew Susac (C, Oregon State), Sox Prospects: Josh Bell (OF, Dallas Jesuit HS, Texas), Prospect Junkies: Blake Swihart (C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Mymlbdraft.com: Tyler Beede (RHP, Lawrence Academy, Massachusetts), Minorleagueball.com: Tyler Beede (RHP, Lawrence Academy, Massachusetts).
No. 36 (for Martinez)- Sox Prospects: Dillon Maples (RHP, Pinecrest HS, North Carolina), Mymlbdraft.com: Blake Swihart (C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Minorleagueball.com: Austin Hedges (C, JSerra HS, California).
No 40 (for Beltre)- Sox Prospects: Blake Swihart (C, Cleveland HS, New Mexico), Mymlbdraft.com: Grayson Garvin (LHP, Vanderbilt), Minorleagueball.com: Anthony Meo (RHP, Coastal Carolina).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Eduardo Rodriguez to be recalled for Thursday start
- Cup of Coffee: Roof and Tekotte go back-to-back in Portland win
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker