John Lackey: Elbow going to be ‘something I have to stay on top of’
|06.07.11 at 9:16 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Two days after making his first start since returning from the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow strain, John Lackey was mildly optimistic.
The starter finished his outing Sunday against the Athletics giving up three runs over 5 2/3 innings. It was deemed a step in the right direction, especially after Lackey had allowed 17 runs in his previous 10 2/3 innings. Yet the pitcher admits that he still lives with some trepidation.
“I know I have damage in there already, so you never know for sure. But every pitcher will find something. Some of us just got a little more than others,” said Lackey, who had elbow issues early in the 2009 season. It is a condition that led to a clause in his current deal which makes his option year at the major league minimum if significant time is missed due to the elbow ailment.
Asked if there was concern that the problem was going to be something more serious, Lackey said, “A little bit because you don’t want it to get too much worse than it already is. But the MRI was pretty close to what it was when I got here.”
It should be understood that virtually all major league pitchers live with some sort of wear and tear, much of which will show up negatively on examinations. The trick is, as Lackey has discovered, to manage it in order to prevent setbacks that might derail a career.
“It’s going to get worse eventually, but the shot got the swelling down so things aren’t hitting against each other. That didn’t feel so good,” he explained. “It’s probably going to be something I have to stay on top of. The guys did a great job of helping me come back, so hopefully we can keep it where it is.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller