Red Sox grab RHP Noe Ramirez in fourth round
|06.07.11 at 1:58 pm ET|
With their fourth-round selection, the Red Sox grabbed right-hander Noe Ramirez from Cal State-Fullerton. Ramirez has enjoyed a very strong career at the prominent Division 1 program, going 29-5 in his three years. Most impressively, he was 8-4 with a 1.69 ERA, 103 strikeouts and 20 walks in 90 2/3 innings as a junior this year. The 21-year-old also pitched last summer for Team USA, forging a 2.70 ERA while striking out 17 and walking four in 13 1/3 innings.
Fellow Cal State-Fullerton product Ricky Romero taught him the grip on his changeup, which is viewed as an above-average pitch. He also features a fastball that is reportedly in the high-80s to low-90s and a slider. He is considered one of the higher probability pitchers in this year’s draft given his college success and feel for his craft.
A product of East Los Angeles, Ramirez is viewed as someone with tremendous makeup and the determination to maximize his potential. For more on his background and how he projects, check out this ESPN.com story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis blasts three home runs for Salem
- Scouting Scratch: First Look at the Portland Bullpen