Red Sox grab RHP Noe Ramirez in fourth round
|06.07.11 at 1:58 pm ET|
With their fourth-round selection, the Red Sox grabbed right-hander Noe Ramirez from Cal State-Fullerton. Ramirez has enjoyed a very strong career at the prominent Division 1 program, going 29-5 in his three years. Most impressively, he was 8-4 with a 1.69 ERA, 103 strikeouts and 20 walks in 90 2/3 innings as a junior this year. The 21-year-old also pitched last summer for Team USA, forging a 2.70 ERA while striking out 17 and walking four in 13 1/3 innings.
Fellow Cal State-Fullerton product Ricky Romero taught him the grip on his changeup, which is viewed as an above-average pitch. He also features a fastball that is reportedly in the high-80s to low-90s and a slider. He is considered one of the higher probability pitchers in this year’s draft given his college success and feel for his craft.
A product of East Los Angeles, Ramirez is viewed as someone with tremendous makeup and the determination to maximize his potential. For more on his background and how he projects, check out this ESPN.com story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins