Red Sox grab RHP Noe Ramirez in fourth round
|06.07.11 at 1:58 pm ET|
With their fourth-round selection, the Red Sox grabbed right-hander Noe Ramirez from Cal State-Fullerton. Ramirez has enjoyed a very strong career at the prominent Division 1 program, going 29-5 in his three years. Most impressively, he was 8-4 with a 1.69 ERA, 103 strikeouts and 20 walks in 90 2/3 innings as a junior this year. The 21-year-old also pitched last summer for Team USA, forging a 2.70 ERA while striking out 17 and walking four in 13 1/3 innings.
Fellow Cal State-Fullerton product Ricky Romero taught him the grip on his changeup, which is viewed as an above-average pitch. He also features a fastball that is reportedly in the high-80s to low-90s and a slider. He is considered one of the higher probability pitchers in this year’s draft given his college success and feel for his craft.
A product of East Los Angeles, Ramirez is viewed as someone with tremendous makeup and the determination to maximize his potential. For more on his background and how he projects, check out this ESPN.com story.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?