Adrian Gonzalez proves a point to Terry Francona and Jacoby Ellsbury
|06.19.11 at 8:52 pm ET|
Just in case Terry Francona is tempted to pinch-run for Adrian Gonzalez like he did on June 4 against Oakland ‘ in the that wild and woolly 9-8 Sox win in 14 innings ‘ A-Gon wants the Red Sox manager to remember Sunday, and specifically the fourth inning.
That’s when Gonzalez tripled to the center field triangle in the fourth inning of Sunday’s 12-3 laugher over the Brewers, collected career hit No. 1,000 in the process. He also earned his third three-base hit of the season, two more than the speedburner Jacoby Ellsbury, something he let Ellsbury know shortly thereafter.
“I was telling Jacoby, ‘I have more triples than you do. What’s going on?’ ” Gonzalez told reporters afterward. “He just said, ‘Hey, you’re faster than me.’ ”
Gonalez said he never thought about what type hit it would take to reach the 1,000 plateau.
“I’ve never drawn it up,” Gonzalez said. “It’s something you never think you’re even going to get close to. It’s nice to get, nice to put it behind and focus on getting some more.”
Gonalez added hit No. 1,001 when he ripped a more routine RBI single to right in the seventh that scored Drew Sutton. The American League All-Star leading vote-getter at first base went 2-for-5 to raise his average to .348 on the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday