Adrian Gonzalez proves a point to Terry Francona and Jacoby Ellsbury
|06.19.11 at 8:52 pm ET|
Just in case Terry Francona is tempted to pinch-run for Adrian Gonzalez like he did on June 4 against Oakland ‘ in the that wild and woolly 9-8 Sox win in 14 innings ‘ A-Gon wants the Red Sox manager to remember Sunday, and specifically the fourth inning.
That’s when Gonzalez tripled to the center field triangle in the fourth inning of Sunday’s 12-3 laugher over the Brewers, collected career hit No. 1,000 in the process. He also earned his third three-base hit of the season, two more than the speedburner Jacoby Ellsbury, something he let Ellsbury know shortly thereafter.
“I was telling Jacoby, ‘I have more triples than you do. What’s going on?’ ” Gonzalez told reporters afterward. “He just said, ‘Hey, you’re faster than me.’ ”
Gonalez said he never thought about what type hit it would take to reach the 1,000 plateau.
“I’ve never drawn it up,” Gonzalez said. “It’s something you never think you’re even going to get close to. It’s nice to get, nice to put it behind and focus on getting some more.”
Gonalez added hit No. 1,001 when he ripped a more routine RBI single to right in the seventh that scored Drew Sutton. The American League All-Star leading vote-getter at first base went 2-for-5 to raise his average to .348 on the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis