Adrian Gonzalez proves a point to Terry Francona and Jacoby Ellsbury
|06.19.11 at 8:52 pm ET|
Just in case Terry Francona is tempted to pinch-run for Adrian Gonzalez like he did on June 4 against Oakland ‘ in the that wild and woolly 9-8 Sox win in 14 innings ‘ A-Gon wants the Red Sox manager to remember Sunday, and specifically the fourth inning.
That’s when Gonzalez tripled to the center field triangle in the fourth inning of Sunday’s 12-3 laugher over the Brewers, collected career hit No. 1,000 in the process. He also earned his third three-base hit of the season, two more than the speedburner Jacoby Ellsbury, something he let Ellsbury know shortly thereafter.
“I was telling Jacoby, ‘I have more triples than you do. What’s going on?’ ” Gonzalez told reporters afterward. “He just said, ‘Hey, you’re faster than me.’ ”
Gonalez said he never thought about what type hit it would take to reach the 1,000 plateau.
“I’ve never drawn it up,” Gonzalez said. “It’s something you never think you’re even going to get close to. It’s nice to get, nice to put it behind and focus on getting some more.”
Gonalez added hit No. 1,001 when he ripped a more routine RBI single to right in the seventh that scored Drew Sutton. The American League All-Star leading vote-getter at first base went 2-for-5 to raise his average to .348 on the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles