Adrian Gonzalez tugs on Chase Headley’s ear and finds other ways to annoy Padres
|06.21.11 at 12:52 am ET|
Facing his former team for the first time, Adrian Gonzalez got the fireworks underway in the decisive seventh with a wall-ball double that scored Dustin Pedroia from first base and put the Red Sox ahead to stay, 4-3, as Boston rolled to a 14-5 win over the Padres. Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with three more RBIs. He’s now batting .353 with 67 RBIs, both totals lead the majors.
“It was just like another game,” Gonzalez said afterward. “I had fun with it. I have fun out there every day. It was good to see them before the game and catch up with them but once the game started, it was all about playing the game.”
Monday was also a chance for Gonzalez to catch up with former teammates Chase Headley and Orlando “O-Dog” Hudson.
“Seeing Dog was great,” Gonzalez added. “He’s a really good friend. We hang out a lot in the off-season so it was good to see and see he was doing good. He pretty much got me up to date on most of the things that are going on over there during the game so it was good. I touched Chase’s ear, which is important. He doesn’t like his ear being touched. I told him if he gets on base, I’m definitely touching his ear every time.”
The hottest offense in baseball continued on its tremendous roll Monday night as the Red Sox sent 14 batters to the plate and scored 10 times to snap a 3-3 tie and coast to a 14-5 rout of the Padres at Fenway Park. The Red Sox, in winning for the 13th time in 15 games, reached double figures in runs for the sixth time in their last 12.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies