Adrian Gonzalez tugs on Chase Headley’s ear and finds other ways to annoy Padres
|06.21.11 at 12:52 am ET|
Facing his former team for the first time, Adrian Gonzalez got the fireworks underway in the decisive seventh with a wall-ball double that scored Dustin Pedroia from first base and put the Red Sox ahead to stay, 4-3, as Boston rolled to a 14-5 win over the Padres. Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with three more RBIs. He’s now batting .353 with 67 RBIs, both totals lead the majors.
“It was just like another game,” Gonzalez said afterward. “I had fun with it. I have fun out there every day. It was good to see them before the game and catch up with them but once the game started, it was all about playing the game.”
Monday was also a chance for Gonzalez to catch up with former teammates Chase Headley and Orlando “O-Dog” Hudson.
“Seeing Dog was great,” Gonzalez added. “He’s a really good friend. We hang out a lot in the off-season so it was good to see and see he was doing good. He pretty much got me up to date on most of the things that are going on over there during the game so it was good. I touched Chase’s ear, which is important. He doesn’t like his ear being touched. I told him if he gets on base, I’m definitely touching his ear every time.”
The hottest offense in baseball continued on its tremendous roll Monday night as the Red Sox sent 14 batters to the plate and scored 10 times to snap a 3-3 tie and coast to a 14-5 rout of the Padres at Fenway Park. The Red Sox, in winning for the 13th time in 15 games, reached double figures in runs for the sixth time in their last 12.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft
- Cup of Coffee: Owens stays strong; Ball delivers best yet
- Cup of Coffee: Steven Wright leads Pawtucket; Meyers powers Lowell