Terry Francona gives Josh Beckett some time to ‘get his legs back under him’
|06.21.11 at 5:10 pm ET|
After a bout with “intestinal turmoil,” Josh Beckett will tentatively make his next start Saturday against the Pirates in Pittsburgh, Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced before Tuesday’s game with the Padres at Fenway. Alfredo Aceves was assigned with taking Beckett’s place in the rotation Tuesday night against the Padres.
“He actually looks just OK,” Francona said Tuesday of Beckett. “l’m glad we [pushed him back]. I think it was neccessary what we did. He didn’t look that good. What we’re hoping for, tentatively, is he’ll pitch Saturday. Because of some of the versatility of guys like Aceves, adding Miller and Wake, we can get around it, especially with an off day.
“What we’ll do is probably pitch him Saturday. That will allow him to have a side day and have a relatively normal week as opposed to just the first day he feels good, get him out there and pitch. Let him get his legs back under him and stuff like that.”
The rotation now sets up to have John Lackey pitch Wednesday, Jon Lester Friday in Pittsburgh, Beckett on Saturday and Tim Wakefield on Sunday in the series finale. Andrew Miller will start the opener against the Phillies in Philadelphia on Tuesday, eight days after his start Monday night against the Padres.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens