Minor Details: Salem Red Sox 2011 first half in review
|06.30.11 at 11:12 am ET|
In the coming days, the Minor Details podcast will examine the performances of prospects at the different Red Sox minor league affiliates in the first half of the 2011 season. For the first installment, the podcast is joined by Salem Red Sox broadcaster Evan Lepler.
Salem, the Red Sox’ Hi-A Carolina League affiliate, got off to a great start, going 16-5 in April. Since then, however, the team has endured a rough stretch, having gone 15-38 at the time of the podcast with Lepler, including a 1-19 home record at LewisGale Field. (Salem won its next two home games after the podcast was recorded.)
But, wins and losses are always secondary in the minor leagues to player development. And so, Lepler suggests that there have been plenty of interesting players of note to observe in Salem. Among them:
–2010 first-round picks Kolbrin Vitek, Bryce Brentz and Anthony Ranaudo;
–Struggling prospect Drake Britton, who entered the year having vaulted himself among the top pitchers in the system only to endure significant command issues and corresponding mound challenges;
–Chris Balcom-Miller, the pitcher whom the Sox wanted to draft in 2009 before the Rockies pounced on him in the sixth round, but whom the team subsequently acquired in a trade for Manny Delcarmen;
–Unheralded yet intriguing prospects such as Jeremy Hazelbaker and Reynaldo Rodriguez (both of whom have been promoted to Portland as a result of their excellent early starts) and pitcher Chris Hernandez.
To listen to the podcast, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Swihart makes major league debut
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd