Minor Details: Salem Red Sox 2011 first half in review
|06.30.11 at 11:12 am ET|
In the coming days, the Minor Details podcast will examine the performances of prospects at the different Red Sox minor league affiliates in the first half of the 2011 season. For the first installment, the podcast is joined by Salem Red Sox broadcaster Evan Lepler.
Salem, the Red Sox’ Hi-A Carolina League affiliate, got off to a great start, going 16-5 in April. Since then, however, the team has endured a rough stretch, having gone 15-38 at the time of the podcast with Lepler, including a 1-19 home record at LewisGale Field. (Salem won its next two home games after the podcast was recorded.)
But, wins and losses are always secondary in the minor leagues to player development. And so, Lepler suggests that there have been plenty of interesting players of note to observe in Salem. Among them:
–2010 first-round picks Kolbrin Vitek, Bryce Brentz and Anthony Ranaudo;
–Struggling prospect Drake Britton, who entered the year having vaulted himself among the top pitchers in the system only to endure significant command issues and corresponding mound challenges;
–Chris Balcom-Miller, the pitcher whom the Sox wanted to draft in 2009 before the Rockies pounced on him in the sixth round, but whom the team subsequently acquired in a trade for Manny Delcarmen;
–Unheralded yet intriguing prospects such as Jeremy Hazelbaker and Reynaldo Rodriguez (both of whom have been promoted to Portland as a result of their excellent early starts) and pitcher Chris Hernandez.
To listen to the podcast, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing