Make no mistake, John Farrell thinks the ump blew the game-ending call
|07.05.11 at 11:15 pm ET|
Blue Jays manager John Farrell didn’t immediately argue the final play of the 3-2 Red Sox win Tuesday night but once he saw the replay of the out call on Edwin Encarnacion at the plate, he made no mistake in criticizing the accuracy of home plate umpire Brian Knight on the tag attempt by Jason Varitek.
“We should still be playing right now,” the former Red Sox pitching coach said. “That play is right in front of Brian Knight. It was clear that Edwin did a good job sliding around the plant leg of Tek but his swipe tag missed him by no less than a foot. So right now, we should be out on that field playing.”
John McDonald lofted a soft single to left field with two outs and third base coach Brian Butterfield sent Encarnacion home from second with what would have been the tying run after Jonathan Papelbon was brought in to protect a 3-0 lead to start the ninth.
Darnell McDonald threw a strike to Varitek, who blocked the plate with his left foot. Replays showed that Encarnacion’s left foot was blocked but he hooked his right foot through and got the plate while Varitek’s swipe tag missed the body.
“From 90 feet from home plate and with the runner in between the view of ourselves and home plate, he made the call as it was. Unfortunately, we should still be playing,” Farrell continued. “After the replay, absolutely, because from our vantage point, Edwin is right in line with the play at the plate. We don’t have the benefit of replay but the wide margin he missed the tag, a little bit surprised the call went that way.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition