Trade Deadline: Reds, Rockies not jumping ship yet
|07.07.11 at 1:54 pm ET|
With the two teams just eight and 10 1/2 games back of the National League Wild Card-leading Braves respectively with less than half a season left to go, neither the Reds nor the Rockies are expected be testing the selling waters of the trade market in the immediate lead-up to the July 31 trade deadline.
Reds GM Walt Jocketty said that despite his team’s even 44-44 record, he will not add or subtract a player or two just to mix things up in the hopes of livening up his squad, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.
“I don’t normally react that way,” Jocketty said. “If I make a move, I do so not to shake things up but to make the club better.”
The Rockies, on the other hand, seem to be in more dire straits as they stand below .500 at 41-46. According to The Denver Post, if anything Colorado will look to make additions to its pitching as well as one to its outfield. The Post only mentions former All-Star starting pitcher Aaron Cook and third baseman Ian Stewart, both of whom have struggled on the field with injuries in 2011, as pieces that the Rockies would be willing to let go. Meanwhile, they are expected to hold onto closer Huston Street and utilityman Ty Wigginton, who are expected to be more attractive trade pieces for contenders come the end of the month.
Colorado has already inquired about Twins starters, including Francisco Liriano, but Minnesota is similarly looking to hold out until it knows it is absolutely out of the running in both the AL Central and the Wild Card races.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller