Red Sox agree to deals with Dominican prospects Flores, Romero
|07.08.11 at 9:23 pm ET|
The Red Sox have agreed to terms with a pair of 16-year-old Dominican prospects, according to team Senior Vice President of Player Personnel and International Scouting Craig Shipley. Shortstop Raymer Flores and right-hander Deoscar Romero both have agreed to terms with the Sox; the contracts will become official tomorrow, when the two players sign their contracts. Romero will receive a $600,000 bonus. ESPNDeportes.com reports that Flores will receive a $900,000 bonus.
The Sox view Flores, a switch-hitter, as a player whose advanced defensive skills will allow him to play shortstop. Shipley said that “for his age, he is a very, very good young hitter.”
Baseball America lists Flores, 16, as a 5-foot-9, 155-pound player who is expected to fill out as he matures physically. In Flores and Manuel Marcos, a center fielder who reached an agreement for an $800,000 bonus last week, the Sox have signed a pair of highly athletic players with middle-of-the-field defensive skills and advanced offensive approaches for their young ages.
Romero, meanwhile, is a 6-foot-3 right-handed pitcher who throws 89-91 mph who turned 16 in April. He also features a curveball and changeup, with the curve being considered the more advanced pitch. He has an advanced delivery for his age.
“He is very young and moldable,” said Shipley. “And he is very projectable.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot