Red Sox agree to deals with Dominican prospects Flores, Romero
|07.08.11 at 9:23 pm ET|
The Red Sox have agreed to terms with a pair of 16-year-old Dominican prospects, according to team Senior Vice President of Player Personnel and International Scouting Craig Shipley. Shortstop Raymer Flores and right-hander Deoscar Romero both have agreed to terms with the Sox; the contracts will become official tomorrow, when the two players sign their contracts. Romero will receive a $600,000 bonus. ESPNDeportes.com reports that Flores will receive a $900,000 bonus.
The Sox view Flores, a switch-hitter, as a player whose advanced defensive skills will allow him to play shortstop. Shipley said that “for his age, he is a very, very good young hitter.”
Baseball America lists Flores, 16, as a 5-foot-9, 155-pound player who is expected to fill out as he matures physically. In Flores and Manuel Marcos, a center fielder who reached an agreement for an $800,000 bonus last week, the Sox have signed a pair of highly athletic players with middle-of-the-field defensive skills and advanced offensive approaches for their young ages.
Romero, meanwhile, is a 6-foot-3 right-handed pitcher who throws 89-91 mph who turned 16 in April. He also features a curveball and changeup, with the curve being considered the more advanced pitch. He has an advanced delivery for his age.
“He is very young and moldable,” said Shipley. “And he is very projectable.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela