Side session for Josh Beckett on Sunday
|07.09.11 at 5:09 pm ET|
After Red Sox starter Josh Beckett left Friday night’s game with a hyperextended left knee after the fifth inning, manager Terry Francona said Beckett will throw a side session Sunday morning. The team will then reevaluate him and decide how they want to proceed with the right-hander.
Francona said Beckett is scheduled to appear in Tuesday’s All-Star game, but that Sunday could play a role in whether he can or cannot go.
“Obviously, not just for his start going forward with us, but with All-Star ramifications, you don’t want to hold up the league. They’ve got their hands full as it is,” Francona said before Saturday night’s game. “If he’s OK, he’s OK. If he needs to hold off then we will do that also. We respect the All-Star stuff, but we also have an obligation to our team.”
On the season, Beckett has an 8-3 record and a 2.27 ERA. He has a WHIP of 0.95 and 94 strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #62: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Trade Deadline
- Red Sox recall Betts and Wilson; Carp designated for assignment; Travis promoted to Greenville
- Report: Owens promoted to Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Betts hits walk-off homer in day one of post-Lester era
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL