Side session for Josh Beckett on Sunday
|07.09.11 at 5:09 pm ET|
After Red Sox starter Josh Beckett left Friday night’s game with a hyperextended left knee after the fifth inning, manager Terry Francona said Beckett will throw a side session Sunday morning. The team will then reevaluate him and decide how they want to proceed with the right-hander.
Francona said Beckett is scheduled to appear in Tuesday’s All-Star game, but that Sunday could play a role in whether he can or cannot go.
“Obviously, not just for his start going forward with us, but with All-Star ramifications, you don’t want to hold up the league. They’ve got their hands full as it is,” Francona said before Saturday night’s game. “If he’s OK, he’s OK. If he needs to hold off then we will do that also. We respect the All-Star stuff, but we also have an obligation to our team.’
On the season, Beckett has an 8-3 record and a 2.27 ERA. He has a WHIP of 0.95 and 94 strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.