Side session for Josh Beckett on Sunday
|07.09.11 at 5:09 pm ET|
After Red Sox starter Josh Beckett left Friday night’s game with a hyperextended left knee after the fifth inning, manager Terry Francona said Beckett will throw a side session Sunday morning. The team will then reevaluate him and decide how they want to proceed with the right-hander.
Francona said Beckett is scheduled to appear in Tuesday’s All-Star game, but that Sunday could play a role in whether he can or cannot go.
“Obviously, not just for his start going forward with us, but with All-Star ramifications, you don’t want to hold up the league. They’ve got their hands full as it is,” Francona said before Saturday night’s game. “If he’s OK, he’s OK. If he needs to hold off then we will do that also. We respect the All-Star stuff, but we also have an obligation to our team.’
On the season, Beckett has an 8-3 record and a 2.27 ERA. He has a WHIP of 0.95 and 94 strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory