Adrian Beltre really thought he was going to remain with the Red Sox
|07.11.11 at 9:30 pm ET|
“They made a great choice. I think Gonzalez is one of the best, if not the best, hitters in baseball. But I thought I had a chance at that time that maybe both of us could (be on the Sox),” Beltre, now a two-time All-Star. “All I know was I wanted to be on a team that had a good chance to win.
Beltre, who would sign with the Rangers a month after the Gonzalez deal, was then asked how such a dynamic could have possibly happened, with the former Padre manning first base, Kevin Youkilis at third, and David Ortiz serving as the designated hitter.
“I have no idea,” he said. “But they could figure something out.”
Beltre, who is having another standout season (.273, 19 HRs), reiterated that he is extremely happy with his choice, the Rangers. The owner of a five-year, $80 million deal is in the process of buying a home in the Arlington, Texas area after previously solely putting down roots in Southern California.
But if you asked Beltre where he was going to end up when the 2010 season came to an end, his first answer most likely wouldn’t have been with Texas.
“I thought I had a good chance to go back to Boston,” said the 32-year-old. “It didn’t’ change until a couple of weeks before I signed.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles