Andre Ethier talks reunion with Dustin Pedroia … with the Diamondbacks
|07.11.11 at 10:08 pm ET|
PHOENIX — The rumors have circulated for a few years now: Andre Ethier wants to come to Boston to join forces with his college teammate, Dustin Pedroia.
While Ethier didn’t dismiss the notion completely, he did take the diplomatic route when asked if the Dodgers All-Star could see himself reuniting with Pedroia.
“Maybe when we’re 38 years-old we’ll end up playing here on the Diamondbacks together for the lsat year or two,” said Ethier, who will be eligible for his final year of arbitration following the 2011 season.
“Maybe one day we’ll have an opportunity to play with one another. It would be fun. Right now he has his thing in Boston. We’re trying to do what we’re doing in LA. If the paths meet somehow I guess it would line up perfect for us.”
Ethier resisted any sort of gloating regarding his presence at his second All-Star Game while Pedroia seemingly just missed the cut.
“He has a lot more awards in his trophy case than I do, so I can’t say anything about All-Star Games,” the 29-year-old said.
Ethier not only has remained friends with Pedroia since their college days, but still work out together in the offseason, while also taking family vacations together. So when the outfielder was asked about the second baseman’s up and down first half, Ethier offered a educated perspective
“Relax, right? The Laser Show,” he said. “He’s a great player. I think he’s had a great year up until this point. He’s coming off a tough injury. I saw it first-hand all winter the steps and the stuff he had to do just to get to the point he’s at now. I kept telling him to slow down, take a month or two later than he actually did. But being him he wanted to come back right away. He’s done more than enough to help that team. Once he starts getting that rhythm and starts feeling himself again, especially with the way that lineup is, the way that team is, he’s going to flourish.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Swihart makes major league debut
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd