Andre Ethier talks reunion with Dustin Pedroia … with the Diamondbacks
|07.11.11 at 10:08 pm ET|
PHOENIX — The rumors have circulated for a few years now: Andre Ethier wants to come to Boston to join forces with his college teammate, Dustin Pedroia.
While Ethier didn’t dismiss the notion completely, he did take the diplomatic route when asked if the Dodgers All-Star could see himself reuniting with Pedroia.
“Maybe when we’re 38 years-old we’ll end up playing here on the Diamondbacks together for the lsat year or two,” said Ethier, who will be eligible for his final year of arbitration following the 2011 season.
“Maybe one day we’ll have an opportunity to play with one another. It would be fun. Right now he has his thing in Boston. We’re trying to do what we’re doing in LA. If the paths meet somehow I guess it would line up perfect for us.”
Ethier resisted any sort of gloating regarding his presence at his second All-Star Game while Pedroia seemingly just missed the cut.
“He has a lot more awards in his trophy case than I do, so I can’t say anything about All-Star Games,” the 29-year-old said.
Ethier not only has remained friends with Pedroia since their college days, but still work out together in the offseason, while also taking family vacations together. So when the outfielder was asked about the second baseman’s up and down first half, Ethier offered a educated perspective
“Relax, right? The Laser Show,” he said. “He’s a great player. I think he’s had a great year up until this point. He’s coming off a tough injury. I saw it first-hand all winter the steps and the stuff he had to do just to get to the point he’s at now. I kept telling him to slow down, take a month or two later than he actually did. But being him he wanted to come back right away. He’s done more than enough to help that team. Once he starts getting that rhythm and starts feeling himself again, especially with the way that lineup is, the way that team is, he’s going to flourish.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland