How Manny Acta ended up helping Adrian Gonzalez to the finals
|07.11.11 at 11:55 pm ET|
PHOENIX — The pre-Home Run Derby notes listed all the participants and their pitchers … except one.
Matt Kemp — Rob Flippo
Jose Bautista — Alex Andreopoulos
Adrian Gonzalez — TBA
Well, Gonzalez — who used San Diego coach Ray Crone when he last participated in the event in 2009 — found his pitcher. And here’s how …
“He didn’t have anybody to throw to him,” remembered Cleveland manager Manny Acta. “I was just sitting at my locker reading and he said, ‘Hey, I’m still looking for somebody to throw to me.’ I overheard him and said, ‘I’ll throw to you.’ So he said, ‘Let’s go.’ It was good to see. He has unbelievable hand-eye coordination.”
With guidance from Gonzalez, Acta got the job done despite having no history with the Red Sox first baseman at all. The result was 31 total home runs, just one shy of the eventual champ, Cano.
“It was impressive doing it in front of so many people. But he took all the pressure off of me,” said Acta, who was instructed to throw waist-high, out over the plate.
“People get amazed by the distance but it’s whomever hits the most home runs that wins it. He was very consistent. He would just wait on his pitch and when he got it he didn’t miss it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin