Remember when Justin Upton was going to be a Red Sox?
|07.11.11 at 9:01 pm ET|
He is young (23). He is good (.293 batting average, 15 HR, 14 SB). And he is under contractual control through 2015 with his salary never getting above $14.5 million. (He makes just $4.25 million this season, and $6.75 million next year.)
Upton now finds himself as one of the hosts for this year’s All-Star Game, still serving as part of the foundation for the Diamondbacks. But this past offseason, he was being dangled by Arizona, and the Red Sox were at least listening.
“When I first started to hear [the rumors], you don’t pay that much attention to it, but then you start thinking, ‘Where am I going to be in a few weeks, a few days?’ You you just try and go about your business,” Upton said. “You just try and let it roll off your back.
“To be honest with you, when I first found out I was playing golf and then I just kept playing golf. I wasn’t too worried about it. If you worry about it all the time you’ll never make it.”
Upton’s tone became pointed when it was then suggested Arizona was entertaining a potential deal in order to motivate the outfielder.
“That’s a terrible way to motivate somebody,” he said. “If that was their reason behind it, that’s ridiculous.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo