Remember when Justin Upton was going to be a Red Sox?
|07.11.11 at 9:01 pm ET|
He is young (23). He is good (.293 batting average, 15 HR, 14 SB). And he is under contractual control through 2015 with his salary never getting above $14.5 million. (He makes just $4.25 million this season, and $6.75 million next year.)
Upton now finds himself as one of the hosts for this year’s All-Star Game, still serving as part of the foundation for the Diamondbacks. But this past offseason, he was being dangled by Arizona, and the Red Sox were at least listening.
“When I first started to hear [the rumors], you don’t pay that much attention to it, but then you start thinking, ‘Where am I going to be in a few weeks, a few days?’ You you just try and go about your business,” Upton said. “You just try and let it roll off your back.
“To be honest with you, when I first found out I was playing golf and then I just kept playing golf. I wasn’t too worried about it. If you worry about it all the time you’ll never make it.”
Upton’s tone became pointed when it was then suggested Arizona was entertaining a potential deal in order to motivate the outfielder.
“That’s a terrible way to motivate somebody,” he said. “If that was their reason behind it, that’s ridiculous.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss