Red Sox sign second-round draft pick Williams Jerez
|07.12.11 at 5:40 pm ET|
PHOENIX — The Red Sox have signed second-round pick Williams Jerez. The toolsy center fielder out of Grand Street High School New York City agreed to a deal that will pay him Major League Baseball’s slot recommended bonus. A year ago, the No. 81 pick (Daniel Tillman of the Dodgers) signed for an MLB slot recommended bonus of $443,700; it is believed that Jerez signed for the same figure.
Jerez became a controversial figure just prior to the draft. The Dominican-born player, whose listed age on his birth certificate is 19, received scrutiny as to whether his listed age was indeed accurate. Yet the Sox determined not only that they had every reason to believe that his listed age was his real one, but also that the lean, athletic 6-foot-4, 190-pound outfielder had the tools to make him a very interesting prospect.
“Unfortunately for him, the focus was not on his tools but his age,” Red Sox amateur scouting director Amiel Sawdaye said earlier this summer, explaining that the Sox were confident that Jerez’ birth certificate age of 19 was accurate after ample background work both in the U.S. and in his native Dominican Republic. “His tool set, if you hit on him, you have the chance to get a plus bat with plus power, arm strength, a good defender and probably a decent runner.”
Jerez will likely be developed as a center fielder to see if he can play well enough to stay at the position. If not, and if he were to end up in right field, the team feels the rest of his tools are good enough to make him an interesting prospect.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated