Red Sox shrug off absence of home-field advantage in World Series
|07.13.11 at 12:38 am ET|
PHOENIX — Home-field advantage has not mattered to the Red Sox in their last two World Series. In both instances, the Sox swept a pair of games at Fenway Park before continuing their march on the road with a pair of victories in St. Louis in 2004 and Colorado in 2007 to conclude four-game sweeps.
Armed with that perspective, while the Sox’ participants in the All-Star Game admitted to some dismay about the fact that the National League representative in the World Series will have as many as four home games (including a potential winner-take-all Game 7), the AL’s 5-1 loss in the All-Star Game was not treated as a devastating event, despite the fact that the team with home-field advantage has won nine of the last 14 World Series.
“Unfortunately we didn’t come out on top but it was a lot of fun and had a lot of enjoyment and I was just excited to represent the Boston Red Sox here,” said Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis, who collected a single in his only at-bat. ‘I’m not disappointed. I kept the philosophy that we had to win on the road anyway. For us, we’ll have to go into somebody else’s place to play if we’re in the World Series.’
Jacoby Ellsbury, who went 0-for-2 with a pair of strikeouts in his first All-Star Game, expressed similar sentiments.
“It would have been nice to get the win tonight,” he acknowledged. “It was a little disappointing not coming away with a win, but we’ve still got to play the other games. It’s home field advantage, but it’s not everything.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller