The explanation for Marco Scutaro’s rough first inning
|07.16.11 at 8:36 pm ET|
First came Johnny Damon’s grounder to lead off the home half of the first inning, which Scutaro ranged over, grabbed and threw wide to Adrian Gonzalez at first base for an error. And it was that play that led to the uncertainty which followed.
“Damon hit the ball, it hit my finger and I couldn’t find the grip on the ball,” Scutaro explained following the Red Sox’ 9-5 win at Tropicana Field Saturday. “I just kind of threw it and after that my finger was a little numb. I couldn’t feel it. I hate when that happens. I just had my hand too close to the ball when it hit the glove.”
With his right index finger throbbing, Scutaro was forced into action two more occasions. The next one coming when Evan Longoria grounded to him, resulting in a wide throw to second which Dustin Pedroia ranged just enough for to get a force out. The shortstop then rallied to finish off the inning with a 4-6-3 double play, although the damage had already been done via a three-run frame for the Rays.
“It was frustrating,” said Scutaro, who explained that the numbness subsided as the game progressed. “I don’t mind making errors, but when they cost runs, that really pisses me off.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston