The explanation for Marco Scutaro’s rough first inning
|07.16.11 at 8:36 pm ET|
First came Johnny Damon’s grounder to lead off the home half of the first inning, which Scutaro ranged over, grabbed and threw wide to Adrian Gonzalez at first base for an error. And it was that play that led to the uncertainty which followed.
“Damon hit the ball, it hit my finger and I couldn’t find the grip on the ball,” Scutaro explained following the Red Sox’ 9-5 win at Tropicana Field Saturday. “I just kind of threw it and after that my finger was a little numb. I couldn’t feel it. I hate when that happens. I just had my hand too close to the ball when it hit the glove.”
With his right index finger throbbing, Scutaro was forced into action two more occasions. The next one coming when Evan Longoria grounded to him, resulting in a wide throw to second which Dustin Pedroia ranged just enough for to get a force out. The shortstop then rallied to finish off the inning with a 4-6-3 double play, although the damage had already been done via a three-run frame for the Rays.
“It was frustrating,” said Scutaro, who explained that the numbness subsided as the game progressed. “I don’t mind making errors, but when they cost runs, that really pisses me off.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies