Matt Albers not surprised Orioles were miffed at him
|07.18.11 at 8:25 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — After the fact, Matt Albers realized, he had gotten caught up in the emotion of a crazy weekend between his current Red Sox club and the Orioles team for whom he played. And his former teammates noticed.
Albers pitched once in the heated four-game series at Fenway Park in the final weekend of the first half, inheriting an 8-3 lead from Josh Beckett (who left the game due to injury) and delivering a pair of scoreless innings in which he struck out four.
There is no denying that Albers threw well against the team that released him. Even so, the game was never in the balance during his appearance, and so when Albers punctuated his outing with a fist pump and a shout — shortly before David Ortiz and Kevin Gregg rumbled in a fight that would garner suspensions for both — the Orioles took notice.
During the eight days from the time that the two teams separated for the All-Star break to their reunion at Camden Yards on Monday, the Orioles have continued to grumble about the Sox’ conduct during the four games at Fenway. And Albers has been one of the subjects of the ongoing ill will expressed by the Orioles towards the Sox.
Albers understands why.
“I think maybe after the fact, I think I got maybe a little carried away. Maybe my emotions got the best of me a little bit,” Albers said. “I kind of figured that they weren’t too happy about it.”
The reliever — who has been a revelation for the Sox, going 3-3 with a 2.37 ERA, 38 strikeouts and 16 walks in 38 innings this year — contacted some of his former Orioles teammates to try to smooth matters. He remains hopeful that, despite the expressions of disgruntlement coming from Baltimore, that this series will not continue the hostilities of the previous one.
“It seemed like it escalated a little out of hand. It was weird seeing that go on,” Albers said. “Hopefully, that’s over with.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven