Matt Albers not surprised Orioles were miffed at him
|07.18.11 at 8:25 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — After the fact, Matt Albers realized, he had gotten caught up in the emotion of a crazy weekend between his current Red Sox club and the Orioles team for whom he played. And his former teammates noticed.
Albers pitched once in the heated four-game series at Fenway Park in the final weekend of the first half, inheriting an 8-3 lead from Josh Beckett (who left the game due to injury) and delivering a pair of scoreless innings in which he struck out four.
There is no denying that Albers threw well against the team that released him. Even so, the game was never in the balance during his appearance, and so when Albers punctuated his outing with a fist pump and a shout — shortly before David Ortiz and Kevin Gregg rumbled in a fight that would garner suspensions for both — the Orioles took notice.
During the eight days from the time that the two teams separated for the All-Star break to their reunion at Camden Yards on Monday, the Orioles have continued to grumble about the Sox’ conduct during the four games at Fenway. And Albers has been one of the subjects of the ongoing ill will expressed by the Orioles towards the Sox.
Albers understands why.
“I think maybe after the fact, I think I got maybe a little carried away. Maybe my emotions got the best of me a little bit,” Albers said. “I kind of figured that they weren’t too happy about it.”
The reliever — who has been a revelation for the Sox, going 3-3 with a 2.37 ERA, 38 strikeouts and 16 walks in 38 innings this year — contacted some of his former Orioles teammates to try to smooth matters. He remains hopeful that, despite the expressions of disgruntlement coming from Baltimore, that this series will not continue the hostilities of the previous one.
“It seemed like it escalated a little out of hand. It was weird seeing that go on,” Albers said. “Hopefully, that’s over with.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller