Matt Albers not surprised Orioles were miffed at him
|07.18.11 at 8:25 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — After the fact, Matt Albers realized, he had gotten caught up in the emotion of a crazy weekend between his current Red Sox club and the Orioles team for whom he played. And his former teammates noticed.
Albers pitched once in the heated four-game series at Fenway Park in the final weekend of the first half, inheriting an 8-3 lead from Josh Beckett (who left the game due to injury) and delivering a pair of scoreless innings in which he struck out four.
There is no denying that Albers threw well against the team that released him. Even so, the game was never in the balance during his appearance, and so when Albers punctuated his outing with a fist pump and a shout — shortly before David Ortiz and Kevin Gregg rumbled in a fight that would garner suspensions for both — the Orioles took notice.
During the eight days from the time that the two teams separated for the All-Star break to their reunion at Camden Yards on Monday, the Orioles have continued to grumble about the Sox’ conduct during the four games at Fenway. And Albers has been one of the subjects of the ongoing ill will expressed by the Orioles towards the Sox.
Albers understands why.
“I think maybe after the fact, I think I got maybe a little carried away. Maybe my emotions got the best of me a little bit,” Albers said. “I kind of figured that they weren’t too happy about it.”
The reliever — who has been a revelation for the Sox, going 3-3 with a 2.37 ERA, 38 strikeouts and 16 walks in 38 innings this year — contacted some of his former Orioles teammates to try to smooth matters. He remains hopeful that, despite the expressions of disgruntlement coming from Baltimore, that this series will not continue the hostilities of the previous one.
“It seemed like it escalated a little out of hand. It was weird seeing that go on,” Albers said. “Hopefully, that’s over with.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester