Progress for Buchholz, a new day for Lester
|07.18.11 at 6:40 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — The rehab of Red Sox starting pitcher Clay Buchholz, on the DL since mid-June due to persistent soreness in his lower back, took a step forward on Monday, as the right-hander pushed his throwing program out to 120 feet on flat ground. That is the third step in a gradual progression of his arm strength that has seen him throw from 60 and then 90 feet. The next step after throwing at 120 feet will be for the 26-year-old to throw off a mound in a short bullpen session.
“That’s good,” manager Terry Francona said of Buchholz’ latest step forward. “Ramp up that intensity a little bit.”
Buchholz (6-3, 3.48 ERA) said over the weekend in Tampa Bay that he is still feeling lingering discomfort in his lower back. However, it appears that he is still edging closer to a return despite the fact that he is physically at less than 100 percent.
— Francona suggested that he misspoke on Sunday in stating that Jon Lester would return to the rotation next Tuesday. A simple mix-up led to the gaffe; Lester is in fact slated to pitch on Monday in the first game of a four-game series against the Royals.
— The Red Sox will not use Alfredo Aceves out of the bullpen on Monday after his three-inning relief effort, and they plan to steer clear of Daniel Bard following his 27-pitch ninth inning (the second of back-to-back games). Aside from that, however, the Sox bullpen emerged in surprisingly good shape from their marathon 16-inning, 1-0 victory on Monday. Closer Jonathan Papelbon will be available, and both Dan Wheeler and Randy Williams did not have to pitch on Sunday, so they should be available to take on innings if needed.
— The Sox arrived at their team hotel a bit after 6 a.m. after their 5 hour, 44 minute affair in Tampa Bay on Sunday night.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles