Trade Deadline: Pirates reportedly interested in Athletics’ Conor Jackson, Josh Willingham
|07.18.11 at 9:39 am ET|
Just a half-game behind the Brewers, the Pirates are looking to add offense to a pitching rotation that already leads the NL Central in lowest ERA. The Pirates may try to find that offense in Oakland, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick tweeted Sunday. Specifically, they’ve asked about first baseman Conor Jackson and left fielder Josh Willingham.
Jackson is batting .249 with just 3 home runs and 27 RBIs, but the Pirates’ Lyle Overbay, their only healthy first baseman, is only performing slightly better, batting .240 with seven home runs and 35 RBIs. Jackson is tied for seventh among AL first basemen with 23 walks, with a .323 OBP that is better than Overbay’s.
Willingham would provide the Pirates with some power, batting .244 with 12 home runs, and 46 RBIs. He ranks second among AL left fielders in home runs with a minimum of 250 plate appearances, is third in RBIs and third in slugging at .434.
Left field is another position where the Pirates only have one healthy player: Alex Presley. While Presley is an on-base machine, batting .343 with a .400 OBP in 16 games, he’s hit just one home run this season and driven in nine.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt