Source: Sox ‘not pursuing anyone aggressively right now’
|07.20.11 at 9:14 am ET|
According to a major league source familiar with the team’s thinking, the Red Sox are “not pursuing anyone aggressively right now” on the trade market. As is the club’s usual M.O. during the trade deadline, the team is looking at virtually every player on the market — a group that would appear to include Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran, Rockies pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez, Padres players such as outfielder Ryan Ludwick and reliever Heath Bell as well as a host of other players — to determine potential fits and acquisition prices.
That said, it would appear that such conversations remain largely in the exploratory phases, contrary to reports that the Sox are emerging as one of “the most aggressive suitors” for Beltran. While the Red Sox continue to examine trade possibilities, the source said that the team’s emphasis is on determining whether it has “internal solutions to upgrade areas that need to be upgraded.” The result of that determination will, in turn, likely dictate how the Sox proceed on the trade market between now and July 31.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies