Source: Sox ‘not pursuing anyone aggressively right now’
|07.20.11 at 9:14 am ET|
According to a major league source familiar with the team’s thinking, the Red Sox are “not pursuing anyone aggressively right now” on the trade market. As is the club’s usual M.O. during the trade deadline, the team is looking at virtually every player on the market — a group that would appear to include Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran, Rockies pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez, Padres players such as outfielder Ryan Ludwick and reliever Heath Bell as well as a host of other players — to determine potential fits and acquisition prices.
That said, it would appear that such conversations remain largely in the exploratory phases, contrary to reports that the Sox are emerging as one of “the most aggressive suitors” for Beltran. While the Red Sox continue to examine trade possibilities, the source said that the team’s emphasis is on determining whether it has “internal solutions to upgrade areas that need to be upgraded.” The result of that determination will, in turn, likely dictate how the Sox proceed on the trade market between now and July 31.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Swihart makes major league debut
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd