Source: Sox ‘not pursuing anyone aggressively right now’
|07.20.11 at 9:14 am ET|
According to a major league source familiar with the team’s thinking, the Red Sox are “not pursuing anyone aggressively right now” on the trade market. As is the club’s usual M.O. during the trade deadline, the team is looking at virtually every player on the market — a group that would appear to include Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran, Rockies pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez, Padres players such as outfielder Ryan Ludwick and reliever Heath Bell as well as a host of other players — to determine potential fits and acquisition prices.
That said, it would appear that such conversations remain largely in the exploratory phases, contrary to reports that the Sox are emerging as one of “the most aggressive suitors” for Beltran. While the Red Sox continue to examine trade possibilities, the source said that the team’s emphasis is on determining whether it has “internal solutions to upgrade areas that need to be upgraded.” The result of that determination will, in turn, likely dictate how the Sox proceed on the trade market between now and July 31.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller