Trade Deadline: Astros reportedly willing to trade Hunter Pence
|07.21.11 at 9:06 am ET|
The Astros are willing to deal away right fielder Hunter Pence, tweets ESPN’s Buster Olney. He adds that rival executives expect Pence to be dealt. Olney speculates that the Braves might be a good fit for Pence since that have plenty of prospects to deal.
The Houston Chronicle also is reporting that the Astros are willing to deal away Pence, as general manager Ed Wade has made it clear he’d be willing to listen to trade discussions about virtually everyone. The teams the paper mentions as possible fits for Pence include the Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, Giants, Indians, Pirates and Tigers. All of those teams reportedly have been interested in acquiring an outfielder.
Pence, who is in his fifth season in the majors, is batting .316 with 11 home runs and 61 RBIs. Pence played in the All-Star Game earlier this month.
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected