Trade Deadline: R.A. Dickey reportedly staying with the Mets
|07.21.11 at 3:21 pm ET|
Yes, there is another knuckleballer in the major leagues, and he is actually pitching quite well.
Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey has a 3.80 ERA this season and is 2-2 with a 3.13 ERA since the start of June, leading one American League contender to put in a call to the New York front office according to a tweet from MLB Network and NESN analyst Peter Gammons.
The answer though, as Gammons notes, was of the negative variety. Dickey put together his first sub-4.00 ERA last season when he ranked seventh in the NL with a mark of 2.84 and could be on his way to such a stat this season if he can maintain his numbers of late. That performance must give the Mets enough comfort that he can continue to toss quality outings for not only the remainder of the season but beyond. Dickey is under contract for $4.25 million in 2012 and has a $5 million club option for 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent
- Cup of Coffee: Portland's season comes to an end
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #63: Just Sayin' Hi
- Cup of Coffee: Portland falls, forces Game Five
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox advance to International League finals
- Cup of Coffee: Cecchini and Barnes lead PawSox to 2-0 series edge