Trade Deadline: R.A. Dickey reportedly staying with the Mets
|07.21.11 at 3:21 pm ET|
Yes, there is another knuckleballer in the major leagues, and he is actually pitching quite well.
Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey has a 3.80 ERA this season and is 2-2 with a 3.13 ERA since the start of June, leading one American League contender to put in a call to the New York front office according to a tweet from MLB Network and NESN analyst Peter Gammons.
The answer though, as Gammons notes, was of the negative variety. Dickey put together his first sub-4.00 ERA last season when he ranked seventh in the NL with a mark of 2.84 and could be on his way to such a stat this season if he can maintain his numbers of late. That performance must give the Mets enough comfort that he can continue to toss quality outings for not only the remainder of the season but beyond. Dickey is under contract for $4.25 million in 2012 and has a $5 million club option for 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rich in pitching depth
- Fort Report: The games begin
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #53: Spring Training Mailbag
- Red Sox sign outfielder Bo Greenwell to minor league deal
- Josh Maurer joins PawSox radio team
- Fort Report: Camp kicks into full gear
- New Feature: Young Graduates
- Pitcher Francisco Tena suspended
- Fort Report: Pitchers and catchers report
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #52: ESPN Insider Keith Law on ranking the Red Sox