Trade Deadline: Cardinals reportedly offer Colby Rasmus to White Sox
|07.25.11 at 2:10 pm ET|
According to a report from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have made Colby Rasmus available to be dealt the White Sox pending the right deal. The report says that negotiations have “accelerated” in recent days and the White Sox could make free agent pitcher Edwin Jackson or left-handed reliever Matt Thornton available to the Cardinals.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said Saturday that he considers Jon Jay the team’s primary center fielder. Rasmus is in the midst of a two-month slump. Rasmus says that he will discuss any trade speculation.
“I’ve dealt with some of that in the past already. I’m just going to try not to think about it and, wherever I’m at, I’m just playing baseball,” Rasmus said. “I’m getting back to keeping it simple. You get too many things going at the same time and it doesn’t work. I’m going to keep it simple and play baseball. It’s what I did today, I played pretty good, and I’m going to try to keep it going.”
Rasmus is hitting .244 with 10 home runs and 37 RBIs this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs