Trade Deadline: Cardinals reportedly offer Colby Rasmus to White Sox
|07.25.11 at 2:10 pm ET|
According to a report from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have made Colby Rasmus available to be dealt the White Sox pending the right deal. The report says that negotiations have “accelerated” in recent days and the White Sox could make free agent pitcher Edwin Jackson or left-handed reliever Matt Thornton available to the Cardinals.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said Saturday that he considers Jon Jay the team’s primary center fielder. Rasmus is in the midst of a two-month slump. Rasmus says that he will discuss any trade speculation.
“I’ve dealt with some of that in the past already. I’m just going to try not to think about it and, wherever I’m at, I’m just playing baseball,” Rasmus said. “I’m getting back to keeping it simple. You get too many things going at the same time and it doesn’t work. I’m going to keep it simple and play baseball. It’s what I did today, I played pretty good, and I’m going to try to keep it going.”
Rasmus is hitting .244 with 10 home runs and 37 RBIs this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens