Trade Deadline: Red Sox in on Colby Rasmus? Rays asking ‘a ton’ for B.J. Upton?
|07.26.11 at 12:19 pm ET|
Joel Sherman of the New York Post has a lot of nuggets about center fielders in this latest report posted Tuesday morning, but the biggest for Boston fans may be his talk of the Red Sox‘ interest in Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus. Sherman also lists Tampa Bay as a team that would be interested in the services of the 24-year-old who is hitting .245 with 11 home runs this season after posting stats of .276 and 23 last season.
However, the main focus of the article is the way the Rays are shopping B.J. Upton leading up to the deadline on Sunday. One AL official told Sherman the Rays “are asking for a ton” in any trade for the center fielder despite his struggles at the plate (.229/.310/.399) this season. The demand is there for Upton, however, because any team that has him under contract would control him through 2012, when his numbers have the potential to bounce back.
Sherman says the Cardinals, Pirates, Reds and Braves are “very serious” in their pursuits of Upton while the Royals and Nationals, both teams well out of playoff contention, could look to deal for him based on the “potential” aspect. WEEI.com’s own Alex Speier lays out why the Red Sox won’t be listed among those teams looking to acquire Upton.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Young Arms
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers