Trade Deadline: Red Sox in on Colby Rasmus? Rays asking ‘a ton’ for B.J. Upton?
|07.26.11 at 12:19 pm ET|
Joel Sherman of the New York Post has a lot of nuggets about center fielders in this latest report posted Tuesday morning, but the biggest for Boston fans may be his talk of the Red Sox‘ interest in Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus. Sherman also lists Tampa Bay as a team that would be interested in the services of the 24-year-old who is hitting .245 with 11 home runs this season after posting stats of .276 and 23 last season.
However, the main focus of the article is the way the Rays are shopping B.J. Upton leading up to the deadline on Sunday. One AL official told Sherman the Rays “are asking for a ton” in any trade for the center fielder despite his struggles at the plate (.229/.310/.399) this season. The demand is there for Upton, however, because any team that has him under contract would control him through 2012, when his numbers have the potential to bounce back.
Sherman says the Cardinals, Pirates, Reds and Braves are “very serious” in their pursuits of Upton while the Royals and Nationals, both teams well out of playoff contention, could look to deal for him based on the “potential” aspect. WEEI.com’s own Alex Speier lays out why the Red Sox won’t be listed among those teams looking to acquire Upton.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket