Trade Deadline: Nationals, Giants, Indians, Braves reportedly in mix for B.J. Upton
|07.27.11 at 2:32 pm ET|
The Rays have been testing the waters for potential suitors for struggling center fielder B.J. Upton, and four teams have reportedly emerged as possible destinations, according to the Tampa Tribune. The Nationals, Giants, Indians and Braves are interested in the 26-year-old, who’s hitting .227 this season.
The Rays aren’t under any pressure to shed Upton’s salary, and he could very well stay in a Tampa Bay uniform past the July 31 trade deadline. Either way, Upton doesn’t seem concerned about the speculation.
“I’m to the point now where I don’t really care,” he said Wednesday. “I turn on the TV, it’s on. I hear it all day. I’ve heard enough of it now. At this point, it is what it is.”
The Tribune also reported that the Rays have all but taken starting pitcher James Shields off the trading block.
“My gut feeling would that be I’m not going to get traded, that I’m going to stay here,” said Shields. “We’ll see.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa
- Top 40 Season in Review: Cody Kukuk and Jamie Callahan
- Top 40 Season in Review: Dan Butler and Mauricio Dubon
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Coyle impress early
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three