Trade Deadline: Nationals, Giants, Indians, Braves reportedly in mix for B.J. Upton
|07.27.11 at 2:32 pm ET|
The Rays have been testing the waters for potential suitors for struggling center fielder B.J. Upton, and four teams have reportedly emerged as possible destinations, according to the Tampa Tribune. The Nationals, Giants, Indians and Braves are interested in the 26-year-old, who’s hitting .227 this season.
The Rays aren’t under any pressure to shed Upton’s salary, and he could very well stay in a Tampa Bay uniform past the July 31 trade deadline. Either way, Upton doesn’t seem concerned about the speculation.
“I’m to the point now where I don’t really care,” he said Wednesday. “I turn on the TV, it’s on. I hear it all day. I’ve heard enough of it now. At this point, it is what it is.”
The Tribune also reported that the Rays have all but taken starting pitcher James Shields off the trading block.
“My gut feeling would that be I’m not going to get traded, that I’m going to stay here,” said Shields. “We’ll see.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens