Source: Red Sox still in on Ubaldo Jimenez
|07.28.11 at 12:04 am ET|
The 27-year-old Jimenez is next scheduled to pitch Saturday, and carries a 6-9 record with a 4.20 ERA in 20 starts for Colorado. Making the righty an attractive option for the Red Sox as Sunday’s non-waiver trade deadline approaches is that he carries a contract that will keep him under the team’s control through 2013 for a total of just $9.95 million for the next two seasons. (He has a club option for ’14 that is voided if traded.)
A source also confirmed that the Red Sox are still in on Hiroki Kuroda, who allowed just one run over five innings Wednesday night against the Rockies, lowering his ERA to 3.14 ERA. Kuroda has a no-trade clause in his contract and is in the midst of a one-year, $12 million deal. One Red Sox player classified the Dodgers’ right-hander as the “nastiest” pitcher he faced in 2010. Kuroda is trending to become a ‘Type B’ free agent, which would allow the team he finishes ’11 with to gain a draft pick if he is offered, and declines, arbitration.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell
- Red Sox sign five more draftees, including first-round pick Benintendi
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)