Trade Deadline: Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez
|07.29.11 at 9:17 am ET|
The Red Sox are among the five teams still trying to land Rockies starter Ubaldo Jimenez, and FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi reported Friday that to get Jimenez, the Red Sox would need to part with Kyle Weiland and Double-A third baseman Will Middlebrooks.
Weiland is 0-1 with an 8.10 ERA in two major league starts. He has shown flashes of major league potential but has not had a dominant start.
Middlebrooks has shown some power with the Sea Dogs, hitting 22 doubles and 14 home runs while compiling a .528 slugging percentage.
Jimenez is 6-9 with a 4.20 ERA this season but just 3-1 in his last four starts with a strikeout-walk ratio of 4.14.
Rosenthal and Morosi wrote that the other teams interested in the 27-year-old righty are the Tigers, Yankees, Reds and Indians.
Sources told Rosenthal and Morosi that the Tigers would need to give up pitcher Jacob Turner, who is 3-5 with a 3.48 ERA and 90 strikeouts in 113 2/3 innings with Double-A Erie.
The Yankees would need to part with Ivan Nova (8-4, 4.12 ERA, but has been hampered by an ankle injury), Double-A pitcher Dellin Betances (4-4, 3.20 ERA, 1.13 strikeouts per inning) and Triple-A catcher Jesus Montero (.288, 50 doubles, 31 home runs over last two seasons with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre).
The Reds might need to give up Yonder Alonso, a first baseman and outfielder who’s batted .296 with 85 extra-base hits and 15 stolen bases over the last two seasons with Triple-A Louisville. Rosenthal and Morosi added that the Rockies would want a major league-ready pitcher from the Reds as well.
The Indians would have to trade Double-A lefty Drew Pomeranz, who is 3-3 with a 1.98 ERA between Single-A and Double-A this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell
- Red Sox sign five more draftees, including first-round pick Benintendi
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule