Red Sox sign third-round pick Jordan Weems, 30th-rounder Nick Moore
|07.30.11 at 5:18 pm ET|
CHICAGO — The Red Sox announced that they have signed third-round pick Jordan Weems. Weems played at Columbus High School in Georgia, hitting .443 with a .534 OBP and .738 slugging mark en route to a state championship. Weems’ father (Rick Weems, 15th round, 1980) and brother (Chase Weems, 6th round, 2007) were also pro baseball players.
Weems is viewed as a player with a good, loose swing, and a tall, lean 6-foot-3 frame who has shown good aptitude as a catcher. It is possible that he could outgrow the position, but for now, he is athletic and features decent power, with some interesting upside.
According to a baseball source, Weems signed for more than the slot recommendation of $274,500 in order to pass on his scholarship offer to play at Georgia State, but less than double the slot amount.
The Sox also signed 30th round pick Nick Moore, a third baseman who also played high school ball in Georgia. He was an impact defensive player at a prominent high school football program (for whom he served as a ball boy growing up), ranking among the national leaders in interceptions. But he recognized that his future was in baseball early, according to this profile. He had a commitment to play at Kennesaw State University. He’s considered to be athletic with intriguing raw power.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp