Hiroki Kuroda staying with Dodgers; Red Sox playing waiting game on other pitchers
|07.30.11 at 6:43 pm ET|
With less than 24 hours to the deadline for non-waiver trades, there is no clear-cut favorite among the starting pitching targets whom the Red Sox are exploring.
According to a major league source, as of Saturday evening, the Red Sox remained engaged in conversations about Rockies starter Ubaldo Jimenez, A’s starter Rich Harden and Mariners left-hander Erik Bedard, but they weren’t closer to a deal for any one of those pitchers than the others. The team was still waiting to see how the market for each pitcher evolves as Sunday’s 4 p.m. deadline draws closer. (Update: A Red Sox trade for Harden fell apart due to medical issues.)
Jimenez was scheduled to pitch Saturday night, but he was scratched as the Rockies reportedly were advancing talks with the Indians on a deal. (UPDATE: The Rockies and Indians reportedly have all but finalized a deal that would send Jimenez to Cleveland for minor league pitchers Drew Pomeranz and Alex White, both of whom are regarded as top 50 prospects.) Harden last took the mound Thursday, giving up two runs over six innings. Bedard pitched for the first time since June 27 Friday night, lasting just 1 1/3 innings, giving up five runs while walking four and striking out two.
As for which players it would have taken for the Red Sox to acquire Hunter Pence, who was dealt to the Phillies for three minor-leaguers Friday night, the Astros were looking for a package that included outfielder Josh Reddick and pitcher Kyle Weiland.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo