Hiroki Kuroda staying with Dodgers; Red Sox playing waiting game on other pitchers
|07.30.11 at 6:43 pm ET|
With less than 24 hours to the deadline for non-waiver trades, there is no clear-cut favorite among the starting pitching targets whom the Red Sox are exploring.
According to a major league source, as of Saturday evening, the Red Sox remained engaged in conversations about Rockies starter Ubaldo Jimenez, A’s starter Rich Harden and Mariners left-hander Erik Bedard, but they weren’t closer to a deal for any one of those pitchers than the others. The team was still waiting to see how the market for each pitcher evolves as Sunday’s 4 p.m. deadline draws closer. (Update: A Red Sox trade for Harden fell apart due to medical issues.)
Jimenez was scheduled to pitch Saturday night, but he was scratched as the Rockies reportedly were advancing talks with the Indians on a deal. (UPDATE: The Rockies and Indians reportedly have all but finalized a deal that would send Jimenez to Cleveland for minor league pitchers Drew Pomeranz and Alex White, both of whom are regarded as top 50 prospects.) Harden last took the mound Thursday, giving up two runs over six innings. Bedard pitched for the first time since June 27 Friday night, lasting just 1 1/3 innings, giving up five runs while walking four and striking out two.
As for which players it would have taken for the Red Sox to acquire Hunter Pence, who was dealt to the Phillies for three minor-leaguers Friday night, the Astros were looking for a package that included outfielder Josh Reddick and pitcher Kyle Weiland.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?