Hiroki Kuroda staying with Dodgers; Red Sox playing waiting game on other pitchers
|07.30.11 at 6:43 pm ET|
With less than 24 hours to the deadline for non-waiver trades, there is no clear-cut favorite among the starting pitching targets whom the Red Sox are exploring.
According to a major league source, as of Saturday evening, the Red Sox remained engaged in conversations about Rockies starter Ubaldo Jimenez, A’s starter Rich Harden and Mariners left-hander Erik Bedard, but they weren’t closer to a deal for any one of those pitchers than the others. The team was still waiting to see how the market for each pitcher evolves as Sunday’s 4 p.m. deadline draws closer. (Update: A Red Sox trade for Harden fell apart due to medical issues.)
Jimenez was scheduled to pitch Saturday night, but he was scratched as the Rockies reportedly were advancing talks with the Indians on a deal. (UPDATE: The Rockies and Indians reportedly have all but finalized a deal that would send Jimenez to Cleveland for minor league pitchers Drew Pomeranz and Alex White, both of whom are regarded as top 50 prospects.) Harden last took the mound Thursday, giving up two runs over six innings. Bedard pitched for the first time since June 27 Friday night, lasting just 1 1/3 innings, giving up five runs while walking four and striking out two.
As for which players it would have taken for the Red Sox to acquire Hunter Pence, who was dealt to the Phillies for three minor-leaguers Friday night, the Astros were looking for a package that included outfielder Josh Reddick and pitcher Kyle Weiland.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs