Trade Deadline: Rays likely to stay put
|07.30.11 at 9:40 pm ET|
The Red Sox have acquired Royals middle infielder Mike Aviles and are looking into starting pitching options along with the Yankees. American League East rival Tampa Bay, however, has been quiet in the days leading up to the trade deadline.
Rays manager Joe Maddon doesn’t expect any roster changes, according to a tweet from Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. Center fielder B.J. Upton has been the subject of many trade rumors, but he is playing in Saturday’s game against the Mariners.
Tampa Bay enters Saturday’s action trailing the division-leading Red Sox by 9½ games and the second-place Yankees by 7½ games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens