Rich Harden-to-Red Sox deal comes apart over medical issues
|07.31.11 at 1:13 am ET|
CHICAGO — For much of Saturday evening, it seemed appropriate to start penciling Rich Harden into the Red Sox rotation. Numerous outlets, including WEEI.com, characterized the deal sending Rich Harden to the Red Sox for first base prospect Lars Anderson and a player to be named as all but done pending a physical.
However, late on Saturday night, the situation shifted abruptly.
Harden told reporters in Oakland that he was informed by A’s GM Billy Beane that a deal would not be made, and that Harden will make his next scheduled start for the A’s on Tuesday. A major league source confirmed that assessment, and it now appears unlikely that Harden will be shipping up to Boston. Indeed, the major league source suggested that the Sox are “not counting on” the deal getting done at all.
A review of medicals after an agreement on the parameters of the deal, according to a baseball source, led to uncertainty about what kind of contribution the Red Sox could expect from Harden down the stretch, and whether he would be able to make enough starts to justify the trade. Harden, who has been on the disabled list 10 times in his career — including for the first three months of this year due to a muscle strain under his right arm — is 2-1 with a 4.30 ERA in five starts this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler