Mike Salk on M&M: Erik Bedard in Boston ‘ultimate recipe for disaster’
|08.01.11 at 11:54 am ET|
Seattle radio host Mike Salk checked in with Mut & Merloni Monday morning to vent about pitcher Erik Bedard, who was traded from the Mariners to the Red Sox on Sunday. To hear the interview, go the Mut & Merloni audio on demand page.
Salk, a former member of the Boston media who has worked for Seattle’s ESPN radio affiliate since 2009, said that the Bedard trade is ‘the ultimate recipe for disaster.’
‘Erik Bedard plus angry Red Sox fans, I can’t see a way in which this ends well,’ Salk said. ‘I just can’t.’
Salk said lack of motivation is Bedard’s biggest problem.
‘I just don’t think he likes baseball that much,’ he said.
‘The things outside of baseball are the things that make him a lot happier. I don’t think he really cares that much whether or not he pitches well. I don’t think the idea of being in a pennant race is actually going to bring him to a better level.’
Salk also criticized Bedard for his bad start on Friday.
‘With the opportunity to shine in front of the scouts, he tanked it,’ Salk said, adding: ‘With all the scouts watching, he threw three to the backstop in front of the scouts in front of the bullpen, something he never does. There’s definitely a belief out here that he tanked that start on purpose so that he wouldn’t go anywhere.’
Salk said that the body language issues that have made John Lackey so unpopular are even worse with Bedard, although Bedard won’t blame his teammates the way Lackey has. Salk also called Bedard ‘pretty accountable,’ another difference from Lackey.
‘He’s not going to shine in glory and then run away from defeat,’ Salk said.
Salk said that Bedard’s upside is, ‘When he is on, he’s fantastic.’
‘I loved him from afar,’ Salk said. ‘I thought he was one of the most talented pitchers I’d ever watched from the left side. Loved the hard fastball, loved the two-plane curve.’
Salk added that Bedard is generally considered a good teammate, noting how good Bedard has been with teammates’ children.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split