Mike Salk on M&M: Erik Bedard in Boston ‘ultimate recipe for disaster’
|08.01.11 at 11:54 am ET|
Seattle radio host Mike Salk checked in with Mut & Merloni Monday morning to vent about pitcher Erik Bedard, who was traded from the Mariners to the Red Sox on Sunday. To hear the interview, go the Mut & Merloni audio on demand page.
Salk, a former member of the Boston media who has worked for Seattle’s ESPN radio affiliate since 2009, said that the Bedard trade is ‘the ultimate recipe for disaster.’
‘Erik Bedard plus angry Red Sox fans, I can’t see a way in which this ends well,’ Salk said. ‘I just can’t.’
Salk said lack of motivation is Bedard’s biggest problem.
‘I just don’t think he likes baseball that much,’ he said.
‘The things outside of baseball are the things that make him a lot happier. I don’t think he really cares that much whether or not he pitches well. I don’t think the idea of being in a pennant race is actually going to bring him to a better level.’
Salk also criticized Bedard for his bad start on Friday.
‘With the opportunity to shine in front of the scouts, he tanked it,’ Salk said, adding: ‘With all the scouts watching, he threw three to the backstop in front of the scouts in front of the bullpen, something he never does. There’s definitely a belief out here that he tanked that start on purpose so that he wouldn’t go anywhere.’
Salk said that the body language issues that have made John Lackey so unpopular are even worse with Bedard, although Bedard won’t blame his teammates the way Lackey has. Salk also called Bedard ‘pretty accountable,’ another difference from Lackey.
‘He’s not going to shine in glory and then run away from defeat,’ Salk said.
Salk said that Bedard’s upside is, ‘When he is on, he’s fantastic.’
‘I loved him from afar,’ Salk said. ‘I thought he was one of the most talented pitchers I’d ever watched from the left side. Loved the hard fastball, loved the two-plane curve.’
Salk added that Bedard is generally considered a good teammate, noting how good Bedard has been with teammates’ children.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller